Friday, April 25, 2008

Bev Fisher Miracle

I believe this is the first email Les Fisher sent out on April 9th.  Les is such a dear, gentle man, as you can tell from the tone of his email:

"Hi everyone, I'm sure that I have some of the addresses wrong, if you recognize the mistakes please correct and pass along

Many of you know, some of you do not but to all here is the latest as of 5:25 in Albuquerque.

Bev and I want to thank all of you for your prayers, calls and concerns regarding our unfortunate accident.

The accident happened with our recently purchased 06 Nissan Titan PU and our 08 Terry travel trailer. We had just the past Friday downsized from our big HitchHiker & 450 Ford because of fuel prices and the fact that we had recently purchased a Town House in Casa Grande. (another story)

We were on I-40, east of Albuquerque heading toward Iowa for a summer job when we came off a hill into a wide open prairie area and were caught by a sudden gust of wind. The trailer started fish tailing and I could not stop it. We left the road, hit the ditch and rolled both the truck and trailer. Both landed upside down and both truck and trailer were destroyed. When we stopped I was still in my seat belt, Bev who previously did not before believe in seat belts was ejected and I panicked when I looked over and she was not in the truck. My window was gone and I crawled out and found her close to the truck. We waited some 40 minutes in the ditch, not wanting to move Bevy, for the ambulance which took her only a short distance where she was airlifted to the University Hospital in Albuquerque. The sheriff's department transported me as I just had some scalp lacerations.

Bev will undergo surgery on Friday to repair her broken back. She will remain in the hospital for an additional week for recovery and that will be followed by an additional two to four weeks of in-house re-hab. That will be in another nearby facility. Her broken ribs, collar bone and breast bone will require four to six weeks to heal on their own. It will be a very painful ordeal. During that time I will be staying somewhere close, yet to be determined.

While awaiting the ambulance several good Samaritans stopped to assist. Three very special truckers and others who offered water and comfort. These good people located some of our valuables, the computer, the phone, the fireproof box with all of our important papers and camera. I had one trucker take pictures of Bev and I and also the wreckage. It will be sent in the future as we did not recover the device to download the pictures or to charge either the phone or the computer. So until tomorrow when I will go to the place where the wreckage is stored and I hope to locate the chargers. I will then be able to use the cell phone and the computer. The cell phone battery is 95% gone and the computer is somewhere close behind.

Once again, thank you all for your prayers, I know they are working as we still have Bevy. With your prayers we will once again be the couple we were prior to this awakening.

Love to all, Les and Bev"

That Bev Fisher is alive is such a miracle, an answer by God Almighty, to the prayers of all of us on Bev's behalf.  Les sent out this email with this picture on April 12th and many of you have probably already seen it, but for those who haven't here's the picture and Les's email:

"Heaven has blessed us with family and friends and I am humbled by all of your prayers and kind responses to our situation. So many calls, so many offers of help, so many wanting to be by our sides at this time is almost more than I can comprehend. I want to thank each and everyone of you for this.

Beverly underwent a six hour operation successfully on Friday afternoon. She is now in the intensive care unit at University Hospital in Albuquerque and is there so they can closely monitor her. She is awake, alert and well aware of her situation. She had four vertebrae fused together and a six inch rod to stabilize her with six bolts. She will remain in this facility for about another week and will then be transferred to a rehabilitation facility also under the University Hospital heading. She is in lots of pain with all of her injuries but has suffered no spinal injuries to affect her leg movement or feeling. There is indeed a greater power who must have a greater mission for both of us.

I'm at the rear of the truck holding Beverly in one positionBev & Les Fisher truck

I have rented an apartment nearby and will be close for all of this treatment. We've had no time to talk about future plans for us but lots of time to consider it. We want all of you to know we love you, we thank you for your prayers and God bless all of you.

Les and Bev Fisher"

No comments: