Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The very latest Kris update

[Just re-checked my email and this update was there from Carol Kline, so I’m posted before heading for my pillow.  Rejoicing and praying for Kris and family.]

Dearest friends and family,

Last Tuesday (one week ago today), Kris returned to Brooke Army Medical Center for that second CT scan.  Just making that hour and thirty minute trip in the wheelchair van is so very difficult and hard on her.  I made certain to ask the technicians if they got it right this time, and they assured me they did.  The resolution of the images were finer and the fabrication should be made now without a hitch.  However, the neurosurgeon went on vacation the next day and won't be back until next week.  He must approve the images, which are now on a DVD, before they can go to the fabricators to make the implant, which will take at least three weeks to do.  Therefore... the September 8th date for Kris to meet with the neurosurgeon is likely the earliest he will see her.  Her surgery will be sometime in late September or October unless the surgeon really sees the progress Kris has made and decides to do it immediately.  THAT is what we are praying for!  THAT is what the neurologist here at the facility in Austin is hoping for as well.  He believes it will help her tremendously now and so do we! 

Now for the neat stuff!  Friday evening when we were saying goodnight to Kris, I leaned over and asked her if I could have a kiss good night.  I always do that and then I give her a kiss on the cheek.  Well, that particular time, I leaned over and asked her and... are you ready for this?  She puckered up her lips in the cutest little pucker you ever saw!  Now, I know this isn’t rocket science stuff or someone walking on the moon.  But, to me, right then, it ranked right up there with landing on the moon!!!  And then, believe it or not, when I said, "Nighty-night," she whispered "Night!"  Remember... she really hasn't regained use of her vocal chords yet, and forming words is very difficult at best.  But she amazes us now and then with a "yes" or "thanks" and now... "night!"

In the quest for better swallowing, I have been able to start feeding her little tastes of yogurt or vanilla pudding or sherbet.  On Friday, she was able to eat a third of a container of yogurt.  Great care must be given and little swabs of water to clear the pallet help to wash the yogurt down.  Today she had a little taste of rainbow sherbet.  She will have another swallowing test one week from today, so we're gearing up for better swallowing and processing of food.  Eventually, this will mean soft foods and thickened liquids and getting her off the feeding tube soon.  I hope!!!

Many of you have emailed brief messages, or sent cards to Kris or to us, and some have called.  I can't tell you how much it all means.  I may not answer every email but I read every one and every card to her.  I may not be able to take your call right away, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  Every call, every card, every email tells me you are all praying and caring and remembering Kris's struggle.  Our days do get long but I'm reminded of how insignificant it is when I think that she is literally re-learning every aspect of living now.  Everything that we do and take for granted, she is struggling to learn all over again.  And she is giving it her very best every single day.  She is so very aware and so awesome in her ways of letting us know she understands everything.  She squeezes my hand to let me know what she needs or is trying to say.  I phrase questions to be answered that way; "if" she needs this or that, squeeze my hand, etc.  Her little smiley face when someone makes her laugh, her emotional face when she is moved: all of this is inside of her and it always has been.  Russ and the children are holding down the home front and taking one day at a time, just as we are.  It is a struggle for him, too, and the prayers for Kris's family are such a help.  Do keep them coming.

All in all, we are holding on, holding up and looking up all the time.  As I've said often, the road will be very long yet, but we do have an awesome, awesome God.  A friend at the rehab center recently gave me a couple of copied pages from the updated edition of the book, "My Utmost For His Highest."  It's a beautiful book of daily devotions and the two pages she gave me last week lifted my spirits and had such an impact.  I recommend the book if you need guidance and hope and renewal.  For August 5th, the title of that day's devotion was "The Bewildering Call of God."  It left no doubt that we can either feel sorry for ourselves and wallow in self-pity, or we can do what God has called us to do and be glad to be serving Him however He wants us to do it.  I figure Kris is giving her "utmost," and we were called to help her do that!  All the time... God is good!

Thank you again and again for your prayers.  We covet them continually.  We need that team support!

Blessings and much love,

Carol and George

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

WOW!! Praise the Lord!! That was a real tear jerker and I don't cry over anything...Joel