Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lake Haven RV Retreat, Indy to Meramec Valley Camp Resort, Cuba, MO

Even early, it was already hot out as we prepared the Q to travel.  I couldn’t even take a picture of all the geese in the rode because my lens kept ‘fogging’ up.

Soon we were on our way out of Indy and passed the airport.100_2029

I spent most of the morning search for an RV park for tonight, online.  We stopped for gas in Effingham, IL. 

People are funny.  We didn’t find a lot of humor in it at the time, but we just considered it all joy and figured what happened was for a reason.  There was a crowd at the Pilot/McDonald’s when we stopped in Effingham, IL to get gas. We pulled up behind a pickup parked at pump #1 and waited.  There was no one at the truck parked at pump #1.  We waited and waited and waited.  We would have moved to another pump, but we’re towing a big house and it’s just not that easy.  Finally, a man and two teenagers came out of the McDonald’s, each with a McDonald’s sack and drinks.  Really?  Yep, true story.  I guess the gentleman didn’t get the memo telling him that the world doesn’t revolve around him or the other memo about how rude it is to block a gas pump when not in use.  Well, the world doesn’t revolve around us either, and desiring to trust God in every situation, we just said, “It’s for a reason.”  Sure enough, when we finished filling up with gas, the long line that was waiting at the McD drive-thru was gone and almost all the other vehicles around and we had a clear shot to the street, no problems; all as a result of waiting for the pickup to move.  Thank you, Lord, for that man in the pickup and bless him and protect him as he travels.

Just after leaving the gas store, Don alerted me that there was a huge cross ahead, so I grabbed my camera100_2031

The Effingham cross is 198 feet tall.100_2033

The rest area in Illinois where we ate lunch. In the heat, it was surprisingly comfortable in the shade of the trees with the slight breeze blowing.  Was rather noisy with all the trucks going by, but we enjoyed our sandwiches anyway.100_2036

Downtown St. Louis from I-270. With all the heat and humidity, it sure was hazy today.100_2038

Here’s my retro-postcard of downtown and the Arch.100_2040-1

Approaching the might Mississippi River.100_2043

A barge being transported.100_2046

Arches are popular in this metro area.100_2047100_2049

On I-270… it’s the middle of the afternoon.  So glad it’s not rush hour.100_2054

After getting onto I-44, east bound traffic was crawling, due to construction.100_2056

Not a good sign.  The only thing we saw was a man pushing a damaged motorcycle.  Started praying for the occupant of the care flight helicopter.100_2058

Now east bound traffic is at a standstill.100_2059

For miles, people were out of their cars and walking around or trying to see what was going on up ahead.  There was a group of about eight motorcycles stopped and we felt so bad for all the people in the 100 plus degrees heat.100_2060

We arrived at Meramec Valley Camping Resort about 3:15 PM.  It’s off the beaten path, but easy to get to.  We are pleased with and grateful for our pull-through site and the trees that provide shade.100_2063

As soon as Don got the Q situated, he headed to the pool.  Too hot outside for me, so I stayed in and took a short nap.  Don said the pool was quite comfortable; could have been a little cooler; lots of kids in the pool.

Jeannie, behind the registration desk, told us that the Missouri Hick Bar-B-Q was a good place to eat, so about 6:30, we went to check it out.100_2066

We were kind of expecting a hole in wall kind of place, but were surprised.  Very rustic, but very nice.  By the way, those hides hanging on the wall are bull hides.  They’re huge.100_2068100_2074

I was a little concerned about the chicken wire with chicken feathers stuck in it that covered the A/C vents.  Cute, huh?100_2075

You know, the placemats should have been my first red flag!100_2067

Because we both wound up ordering the sampler dinner.  It was soooo good.  I didn’t eat all of it, but almost.

I loved all the mule pictures hanging on the walls.  This was my favorite.  He looks like a Mr. Lucky, doesn’t he?  Ha Ha100_2072

While Don checked out, I took pictures.100_2076100_2077100_2078100_2079100_2080

See!  Isn’t it nice!  I love it.100_2081

Don is patiently waiting for me to get in the truck. My gentleman. (I see a W and a Z!)100_2083

We recommend…100_2082

Don drove through Cuba and there was lots to take pictures of.  Maybe we’ll go back tomorrow.100_2084

We’re almost certain that this was once a service station.100_2086

We stopped at Wal-mart… definitely not a super. Inside, I felt like I had stepped into the first Wal-mart I shopped in years ago.  Men’s clothes on racks to the right immediately inside the door.  Blue jeans on shelves on the front wall.  Very nostalgic is a Wal-mart can be nostalgic.100_2088

Back at the park, we drove through and down to the lake and around it.100_2089

It was almost to late to take pictures.100_2091100_2093

So, now I’m preparing this post and Don has turned in. 

Praise the Lord for safety and a good place to park for two days.

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

We pass the arch on our way back home (to IL)and it always impresses me. Love your pictures of Cuba. I'm not sure but don't think we ever stopped there.