Sunday, August 29, 2010

Feasting at Jesus’ Table

Precious Jade opened our Bible Study time at church this morning with a song about prayer.  Very beautiful.100_2535

Dennis facilitated the Bible study.  We studied 1 Samuel 23.  Volumes could be written about David and his relationship with God.100_2536

Dr. Dan Griffin brought the message this morning.  This is the second time this summer that we have had the privilege of hearing him teach/preach and both times he taught about Jesus Christ.  His love for the Lord above everything else is so apparent.  I was thrilled to hear of his experience of meeting Dr. Richard Wurmbrand at the empty tomb of Jesus Christ several years ago.  Dr. Wurmbrand is the Romanian pastor who was tortured in prison on many occasions by the Communist; wrote Tortured For Christ; and established the Voice of the Martyrs ministry.  Appropriately, Dr. Dan’s message was from John 20:1-10 about the resurrection of Jesus.  The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is the basis and foundation of all that we do as followers of Christ and Believers in Him.  The Resurrection is the main fact that sets Christianity apart from all other religions.  No other religion can boast about a Messiah who died for the sins of the world and was resurrected.  That’s why God says the only way to the Father is through His Son, Jesus Christ. There is no other way.

Here is Dr. Dan and his lovely bride, Laura.100_2538

You might say that the ‘ministry team’ for this morning met at the Olive Garden for lunch and fellowship.100_2540

If you know me, you know my love of people.  I’m a normal grandmother and children always catch my eye.  I wasn’t sitting where I could see this doll at lunch, but Don was and he pointed her out to me.  I’m shameless when it comes to taking pictures of children.  I complimented her to her grandmother when we left and was given her name, but I’ll withhold it.  Beautiful name, however, for a beautiful child.  May God bless her and may she learn at an early age the plan that her Creator has for her life.100_2542

Later this afternoon, Sally and I took a trip to the West Branson Wal-mart to pick up a couple of items. Yippee, sweet black cherries were on sale!!

Dennis and Sally picked almost five gallons of wild grapes this afternoon, so Sally will be canning grape jelly tomorrow.  Yummmm.

It’s been a wonderful Sunday.  Didn’t get to talk to any of our girls today, but did talk to Mama Trudy and she’s doing pretty good, but not feeling good enough to go to church this morning.

Following is the heart of Pastor Richard Wurmbrand:

"God will judge us not according to how much we endured, but how much we could love." - Tortured For Christ
"The tortures and brutality continued without interruption. When I lost consciousness or be­came too dazed to give the torturers any further hopes of confession, I would be returned to my cell. There I would lie, untended and half dead, to regain a little strength so they could work on me again. Many died at this stage, but somehow my strength always managed to return. In the ensuing years, in several different prisons, they broke four vertebrae in my back, and many other bones. They carved me in a dozen places. They burned and cut eighteen holes in my body. When my family and I were ransomed out of Romania and brought to Norway, doctors in Oslo, seeing all this and the scars in my lungs from tuberculosis, declared that my being alive today is a pure miracle! Accord­ing to their medical books, I should have been dead for years. I know myself that it is a miracle. God is a God of miracles. I believe God performed this wonder so that you could hear my voice crying out on behalf of the Underground Church in persecuted countries. He allowed one to come out alive and cry aloud the message of your suffering, faithful brethren." - Tortured For Christ
"It was strictly forbidden to preach to other prisoners, as it is in captive nations today. It was understood that whoever was caught doing this received a severe beating. A number of us decided to pay the price for the privilege of preaching, so we accepted their terms. It was a deal: we preached and they beat us. We were happy preaching; they were happy beating us—so everyone was happy." - Tortured For Christ

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

Hard to believe that that kind of stuff goes on in this age. Guess we are to protected.. Glad we are still free!