Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kris report from Carol and George

Blessings to you all on this very special day: Memorial Day!

For years, we have received a "Thought for the Day" from a dear friend.  When I opened my email this morning, I found today's thought:  You cannot do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late.  In view of our daughter's situation and the very minute her life changed forever, I ponder thoughts such as that quite often.  So never miss a chance to tell a friend how much you appreciate them, say I love you to those you love, and remember how quickly our lives can be altered, changed or simply stop.  Life is just too short however you look at it.

And, to the task at hand: the latest update on Kris.  I wish with all my heart I could say she's awake and talking, but that will come.  I can tell you that she has been breathing so well through her mouth and nose, they (the apparent medical officials there at the rehab facility in Austin, Texas) decided to downsize her trach and cap it.  If she tolerates the new smaller one as well as the larger, more open one that was surgically inserted while she was yet at the base hospital, they will remove it all together.  Another small step but a giant hope nonetheless.  Anything less invasive is always good.  I am hoping to speak with the care plan coordinator there at the neuro rehab facility on Tuesday to initially plan what part I can have in her rehab when we get there.

She is still tolerating her feeding tube well, and all functions are performing normally, which is always a good sign, too.  I spoke on the phone with a family friend who was there with her on Saturday, and he said it appeared as though she were moving her mouth more as if trying to say something.  When I spoke with the nurse-on-duty on Sunday, she said the same thing, which surprised me even more.  Obviously, no one can be certain but just the additional movement is a welcome sign.  Russ continues to read cards and letters to her that arrive, and surely she hears and knows his voice.  We call almost daily and, as often as possible, the nurse will place the phone next to her ear so that she can hear our voice.  I know her sisters do the same thing, and I am just so certain that she can hear us and it all helps. 

For us, the days are passing so quickly here in Pennsylvania, but we keep extremely busy to help make that happen!  There is so much preparation before pulling out in the RV to head for Texas and, of course, we still have two shows in the immediate area as well as two in western PA.  But then we're on our way to Austin.  There is a very nice campground just a few miles from the facility and our site is already reserved for the first month.  (They work on a month-to-month basis, and we plan to stay as long as it takes.) 

Kris was 45 on May 23, and I know cards and well-wishes poured into her room there in Austin.  We continue to receive emails and folks tell us everywhere we go they are praying for Kris.  She has been added to so many prayer lists and it does us so much good to know she is being lifted up all over the country.

Another dear friend sent this very simple Memorial Day wish this morning, so I'll send it along to all of you.

To all those who have served, are serving and who will serve..thank you for your courage, commitment and sacrifice.  Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Memorial Day!!!  God Bless the USA!!!

I couldn't have said it any better.  Do remember our men and women who serve to help keep our freedom free.  It does not come without a price!  George putKris in Iraq-1 the attached photo on our bathroom mirror of Kris on one of her deployments to Iraq.   It reminds us every morning and every evening what a little fighter she is, and it keeps everything in perspective when we think we're having a bad day.  I love the look of determination and courage in her eyes, and I just know she will be okay. 

God bless you all!

Carol and George (Kline)

No comments: