Sunday, June 27, 2010

Church in Atlanta with Dr. Charles Stanley

To get up early enough to drive to Atlanta this morning, I had to set my alarm for 6:00.  You read right.  I got up at 6:00 this morning!

We left the Q a little after 7:30 and it was really foggy out; we could barely see the mountains.100_2986

A little further, the cloud is still hanging below the tops of the mountains.100_2993

But as soon as the sun showed up over the top of the mountain, the fog begin to disappear.  A view of the Tennessee River from I-24.100_2994

Our destination this morning was the First Baptist Church of Atlanta where Dr. Charles Stanley is pastor.  We had a little trouble finding the church because our GPS needs updating and led us on a “wild goose chase.”  Well, that’s not totally true:  I printed directions and a map from the FBA website last night and walked out of the Q and left the directions on the counter.  We were not in our pew at 10:45, but we made it in time for a few songs and the sermon.  Dr. Stanley is one of our favorites and we were not disappointed.  His message was about Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well and Dr. Stanley was asking, “Are you drinking from the world’s wells or are you drinking from Jesus’ well of living water?”  When he said, “The only happy hour is the one God creates,”  I started taking notes.  It was a really good message about the emptiness in our lives and the only true person that can fill that emptiness… Jesus Christ.

This church was amazing.  After church was over, I took a few pictures inside.100_2996

Dr. Stanley stayed at the front area and greeted visitors.  I’m not sure why, but he has a body guard.100_2998

This is the east wing and the door we entered.  It’s beautiful.100_2999

This is the north wing entrance where the body guard drove Dr. Stanley’s car to pick him up.100_3002100_3001100_3004

We waited for a while to allow the crowd to get out of the parking lot and that also allowed me to take a few pictures of the grounds.

Somewhere on our way out of Atlanta, we passed The Weather Channel building.100_3011

Sure glad this is Sunday and not a work day.  Can you imagine these seven lanes full of traffic?  Not for me… I’m a country girl.100_3014

We made it back home about 4:30.  It took us a little longer to get back to the Q because we took a different route, away from the interstate highway, back over the mountain.  We don’t like to take the same road twice. :-)

I’ve been thinking about a new feature on Bakers’ Blessings where I will be sharing little thoughts that I pick up here and there and I think I will call it: 

Think About It…

Counseling in a nutshell:

Admit it.

Quit it.

Forget it.

(Dr. Bennie Tate, 6/27/2010 – www.rockspringsonline.com )

2 comments:

Norm and Lori said...

We try to catch Charles Stanley on Sunday mornings here, while we are getting ready for church, he is on TV here. NoPo and I both enjoy his messages. Thank you for sharing the photos of his Church there in Atlanta. It sure is huge, and beautiful. Strange about the body guard, sad that he would feel the need to have one. Miss you and love you, LoPo

Lavonda Pflug said...

We enjoyed the few times we were able to attend Dr. Stanley's church. Yes, on weekdays the traffic is horrible!
We were there a couple years back when the tornado hit downtown.
I just love the Chick-Fil-A water tower. Atlanta is a wonderful place to bird watch in the spring.
Love your photo account.