Monday, May 26, 2008

What Is Memorial Day

The Memorial Day Foundation - Increasing Awareness and Respect for Memorial Day.

Pray for America

Memorial Day has always meant the remembering, the honoring of those who gave their life for my freedom, our freedom... yours and mine.

My daddy was in the service only briefly before he was diagnosed with cancer and given a medical discharge.

I have a step-brother who served in World War II in some of the most fierce of battles, but he would never talk of it. Maybe thinking that not talking about it would help him forget the things he had seen and the comrads he lost. He made it home from battle to marry and have a daughter. I'm proud of him and his sacrifice for our freedom.

When in high school, the Viet Nam conflict was going on and a lot of my classmates were being drafted or joining when they graduated, 1967. Even though the Viet Nam war was so controversial, I am appalled at how our soldiers were treated when they returned to the States. I've always had an appreciation for what they went through and the sacrifices made. My best friend's husband still suffers from agent orange.

Don was in the Navy and served two and half tours in Viet Nam. He doesn't talk about it a lot, but will answer questions when he's asked. He still remains great friends with one of his Navy buddies. I have so much admiration and appreciation for those, especially my husband, who served when called upon to do so. I don't know how he passed the physical to get in as he had heart problems in high school, but he did.

My niece's husband was in the service. I don't think he was in any conflict, but just being in the service represented his willingness to go when called up. My nephew was also in the Air Force, serving as an MP.

Presently, our son-in-law is a Captain in the Air Force and has served in the Iraq war. We could not be more proud of him.

How many people in your life have made a contribution to your freedom? They deserve our respect and appreciation.

And I say .... THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

No comments: