Saturday, March 22, 2008

block parties and reflections

This afternoon, we went to a party for all the workampers given by the park manager, Jeannie Budd. A meal of sloppy joes, baked beans, chips and ice cream was served.
We were exhausted from being at the airport all day waiting for Snookie's turn to skydive, so we came home after a bit and Don watched more March Madness while resting. I got a little rest and then headed for the cantina to get started making the breakfast casserole for the brunch tomorrow after church. Sharon, Wendy, Barb & Arlen, Elizabeth, and Nancy all pitched in and we got the task accomplished in no time at all. Nancy will go in early in the morning to turn on the oven and put the first pan in. Linda Poyer and Margie Cartwright are each making an extra casserole at their houses to bring in the morning. While we were all together, I asked them a question regarding a subject that came to my mind last night while I was washing dishes. Did your mothers teach you a specific order in which to wash the dishes? I was kind of surprised that we all learned the same way: glasses first; then flatware; next plates, saucers, cups, bowls; followed by all the serving bowls & dishes; and last the pots and pans. Since the dishwasher, I had not given this much thought until we moved into the 5th wheel and it doesn't have a dishwasher. I had gotten out of the habit of washing dishes in this order and really don't know why I even thought of it, but I did. All this led to thoughts of my mom and remembering what a wonderful housewife and mama she was. She took pride in cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening, canning and freezing the fruit of her efforts. And she always helped outside with the cows, building fence or anything else that needed done. When I was nine years old, we were still washing clothes in a washtub with a rub board and rinsing in another tub. That's where she and I were one Monday in early summmer, outside by the cistern washing clothes when I told her I wanted to be a member of God's family. My granddad was a preacher so I knew God loved me and I knew He was tugging at my heart. Mama asked me if I understood about being a sinner and I understood, because I knew I was not always a sweet and good little girl that I wanted to be. I prayed and asked God to forgive me and thanked Jesus for dying for my sins. I asked Jesus to come into my heart and live with me forever making me a member of God's family. My mama and I cried together and laughed together. Wish I could say that from that day until now, I never disappointed my sweet mama or grieved the Holy Spirit within me, but I have. It's part of the process of becoming the person God designed me to be and the process will continue until He calls me Home to Heaven, except I pray I'm learning to be more and more obedient to my Lord and His Word. All that from washing dishes. Who knew? ha ha

Sharon offered me a ride to my "house" and the block party was beginning to wind down on our street. Snookie hollered at me to come watch the video of her sky jump. It's awesome. Then I had to hear the song Wilf wrote and sang about Don Walrath and another song he wrote when it looked like cancer would get him. Wilf is from Canada and lives two "houses" down from us.
This has been a very eventful Saturday and tomorrow is Easter. Over two thousand years ago, Jesus overcame sin, death and the devil when He gloriously was resurrected from the tomb everyone thought he was so secured in. I'm looking forward to the message God has given Don for us tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, I must get the bulletins prepared.

No comments: