Thursday, February 28, 2008

Organ Pipe National Monument

Apologies for not getting pictures posted last evening. "My tired" hit me around 7:30 and my brain went south. When I loaded the pictures from camera to computer, I don't know what I did, but the pictures weren't there and I thought I had erased them from the camera in the process. That's about 180 pictures that I took. Well, you can imagine my frustration and I was too tired to think about it so I went to bed and watched my son-in-law on TV for the last time. He will be moving to Corpus Christi to his new job on March 1st while wife and kids stay in Waco to finish school year and sell the house. Anyway, it was kind of an emotional evening for me because I know it was very emotional for SIL and we will miss getting to see him on TV during basketball season. We've had a college connection for a long time, that began with Leslie & LaNae playing college basketball. It continued with Khalil being the athletic trainer for first the Baylor baseball team and then the Baylor men's basketball team. We've enjoyed many college basketball and baseball games and we will miss that. However, it will only be a few years before oldest grandson will be playing football (or baseball) in college and then there's a string of athletes in the family for many years to come, good Lord willing. And now we will be Corpus Christi hooks fans, I'm sure.


Anyway, back to the pictures. Praise God! they were still in the camera and everything is intact and now I can post pictures of our outing to the Organ Pipe National Monument yesterday. A baby pipe begins. The organ pipe cactus shows a bit of color at this time of year, also. The Organ Pipe and the Ocotillo.The desert is beginning to bloom and show off it's beautiful colors. These are poppies of varying colors. We saw wildflowers of gold, orange, fuschia, blue and white. I was the most intrigue with the ocotillo plant. It's many stages fascinate me. It sheds it leaves to preserve it's moisture when it's blooms appear on the tips of the branches. This is a picture of a picture of the Ocotillo in bloom. Darlene and I found these rocks, not that they were hiding. Along with the Organ Pipe cactus, there were also many Saguaro cactus. I'm not sure, but I think there was something inside this one watching me. Do you see the eye back in the shadow? We stopped for a picnic under the Ocotillo-branches-over-chicken-wire arbor. We were joined by a woodpecker who was very insistent about something, flying from one post to the other right by us. Finally, Darlene tossed her a piece of wheat bread and she was happy and flew off. When we left the national park, we drove five miles further south to the Mexico border at Lukeville. The post office is called Gringo Pass. Inside the duty free shop, Dave found none other than Paris Hilton. We were parked next to this. I don't understand it, but it was interesting. Is the barrel holding the van or is the van protecting the barrel? Nice paint job on the beat up old barrel, though. Less than 60 miles south of this point is the Mexican coastal resort of Rocky Point on the Sea of Cortez, where we would like to go one day before we leave Arizona. On our return trip to Az. City, we saw beautiful horses playing in water behind a screen of trees and brush, preventing a photo opp that I would have love to brought with me to share. However, we did see a herd of wild burros and were able to get some decent pictures. This one has the air of a jack, don't you agree? And more of the herd. There were about eight burros in this herd. It was a fun and eductional day in the Sonoran Desert with wonderful friends Darlene & Dave. And if Dave doesn't start letting us share the gas costs, we're not going with them any more.... maybe. I know....

No comments: