Saturday, February 23, 2008

Arizona City Western Daze

Evidently, this is an annual event. Big carnival type atmosphere with rides for the kids, lots of booths for selling wares, etc., and of course, food. I wasn't too excited about going, but Don insisted... "it's a pretty day, let's go see what it's all about." And I'm glad I went. This gentleman is a local wood craftsman. This bowl is made of Ironwood and it is truly very heavy. I have heard of Ironwood, but had never seen it or anything made from it. It was beautiful. I'm sure it says something about my personality that I love things made of wood and the beauty of the grain. I was fascinated with all the things this gentleman had made. All of these birds were from a wildlife shelter. They are wounded and have been rescued. This is a Harris's Hawk.


This falcon doesn't care for crowds of people and was rather agitated but he controlled himself nicely.








A screech owl like the one we have here in the park.
A barn owl. He didn't seem to feel very good. Now here's a really beauty. I've certainly never been this close to a Turkey Buzzard. He stretches his good wing. I enjoyed delicious nacho supreme which consisted of taco meat, beans, cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green olives & jalepeno peppers. Had never had the olives on nachos before, but it was quite tasty. Don was at another vendor getting his bratz.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

hmmmmm. . . things of wood: every time we go somewhere, my souvenir seems to be wooden! and usually a spoon! My Disneyland souvenir is a wooden spoon. . . my Paris souvenir is a wooden spoon. . . love them! And i'm working on a blog about them, too. . . stay tuned.