Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fredericksburg

This morning, Don asked if I would like to drive over to Fredericksburg for lunch and, of course, I said yes!  I had noticed on my walk this morning that it was cloudy and here you can see the clouds, but we got no rain.100_3947

At a motorcycle shop in Ingram, my eye caught this classic looking motorcycle, so I got a picture just for my motorcycle friends.  You know who you are. :-) 100_3950

While we were just getting started across to Fredericksburg, I got a call from Nancy Beilke in Nebraska.  It was so good to hear her voice and that she and John are doing well.  However, she and Don have shared the misery of a broken rib this spring.

Don loves taking a new route which took us past this old house.  We went past and I just got a glimpse but knew that I wanted a picture of it.  My sweet man made a U-turn and stopped so I could get some good shots.  If this house could talk.100_3953

On the other side of the highway, we were being watched very closely by the Axis buck.100_3956

Don noticed this small cafe on the main street of Fredericksburg, so we parked and went in. 100_3964

None of the walls in this transformed house had been completely removed, giving each room it’s own dining spaces. 100_3959

The woodwork is warm and beautiful. 100_3960

This group of ladies was having a good time in the next room.  The room we were in had four tables.100_3961

We both ordered the grilled Chicken Poblano and it was delicious, with the sautéed squash, rice and pico.  Yes, that is sliced avocado under that melted cheese.  And the poblano sauce is… poblano peppers, garlic, heavy cream and white wine.  Really yummy, however, I only tasted it, but did not eat it.  The cheese was enough dairy for my meal.Grilled chicken pablano at Kelly's

A couple from Austin came in and sat at the table next to us.  How odd that we would strike up a conversation with them, recommended what we had just eaten and they tried it and loved it, too.

Now, the waitress came with the dessert suggestions and Don chose the peach & blueberry cobbler with a dip of vanilla ice cream.  She brought it to the table, hot, with two spoons.  I tasted a small bite of peach and a small bite of blueberries, but no cake or ice cream.  Mr. Skinny ate the whole thing and when the waitress asked him if he liked it, he asked, “Is my mama in the kitchen?”

OK, Kelly’s Cafe was a hit.

On the way back to the truck, I took a few pictures. …. 100_3968 100_3963 100_3966 100_3967 100_3969

Our next stop was a veggie stand on the highway where we purchased fresh tomatoes and fresh peaches.  Locally, they’re between peach crops, so the peaches we bought were from east Texas.

On the Opa’s!  Can’t go to Fredericksburg without getting Opa’s Smoked sausage.  Today, Don chose a package of Southwest and one of cheese.100_3973

Taking yet another route back to the Q, Don spotted this old house and barn.  Looks like the windmill has seen it’s better days.100_3974

It’s difficult to see, but this is a vegetable truck farm where something is being harvested today.100_3977

Back at the Q, I prepared some of the tomatoes for salsa.  Notice what is written on the box.  The tomatoes had a couple of flaws, but nothing major and they do taste good.  We finally found fresh tomatoes that taste like the ones my mama used to have in her garden.  Now… if I could just find some fresh black-eyed peas.  Anyway, the salsa was made using the Ninja Food Processor that Stephanie gave Don for his birthday.  Wow!  It’s great!  And the salsa is so good.100_3981

Have a wonderful day wherever you are and we will do the same here in the Texas Hill Country, for... “This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”

(Thanks LoPo!)

No comments: