Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mark in March (3:31-35)

Mark 3:31-35
31 Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived at the house where He was teaching.  They stood outside and sent word for Him to come out and talk with them.  32 There was a crowd around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers and sisters are outside asking for you.”  33 Jesus replied, “Who is my mother?  Who are my brothers?  34 Then He looked at those around Him and said, “These are my mother and brothers.  35 Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”
Now, before you get all bent out of shape thinking that Jesus just denied his mother and his brothers and sisters, let look at this in context.
Jesus took every opportunity to teach a Truth to His followers and this was no exception.  He took this unique opportunity to make a very vivid comparison.  He did not say that those outside asking for him were not his mother and brothers, but he included, those inside listening to him teach and being healed, as His family. 
“Anyone who Does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”  What beautiful words.  Doesn’t that just encourage you to do God’s will?  And there is one thing that we have no doubt is God’s will and that is for everyone to believe in Jesus Christ, His Son.  When we do, we are His mother and brother and sister… His family.
Knowing that I am a member of God’s Family also motivates me to continue doing God’s will and learning the things that are pleasing to my Father and doing those things.  I don’t want to do anything that would displease Him, because He loves me and is always with me, helping me.
Do I always please Him?  Sadly, no.  But I run to Him quickly, when I fall down.  That’s another learning process.  I recently read something in Max Lucado’s He Chose the Nails:
Pride and shame are sisters.  If pride is what goes before a fall, the shame is what keeps you from getting up.  Pride and shame.  They both keep you from your Father.
How true that is.  So, it is a good thing to bring our shame to the cross and ask for forgiveness.  It is an even better thing to bring our pride to the cross and leave it there… this will eliminate a lot of our falling.
How did Mark 3:31-35 speak to you?

No comments: