Sunday, July 4, 2010

When we pray, believing…

God answers.  Praise His Holy Name!

Today’s email from Kris’s mom, Carol Kline:

Dear friends and loved ones!

In my last update (Sunday, June 27, 2010), I explained that Kris's right eye (the one we were so afraid she would never be able to use again) was now open, working, focusing, and pretty much proved me wrong!  I explained about some other things she was now doing: using her left leg to point and sort of communicate, etc., and that she was handling some ice chips now.  I did mention, however, that she was likely not out of the coma completely, but that she was in a very light coma probably.

YAHOO!!!  (Geeze... I've been in Texas too long!)  Turns out I was wrong again!!!  Since Kris is now focusing with both eyes, following commands quite well, responding with her leg and somewhat following directions with her right leg now, too, it is now believed she is out of the coma completely.  She doesn't speak yet and is still not able to hold her head up or move herself, but her legs are moving and therapy is now working with her to answer "yes" by thrusting her left leg out, and "no" by moving her left knee side to side.  So far, it's working pretty well, but it takes some real concentration on Kris's part.  The beauty of it is... she is concentrating and trying and really working hard.  All of the therapy folks are pretty excited and, of course, we are just ecstatic!!!!  She has one doozey of a sinus drainage problem right now, making it difficult for her to swallow.  We've requested an ENT be called in and a scope and xray of her sinuses to be done.  But, in the meantime, real concentration on her arms and hands and upper torso will be done aggressively now, along with work on her right leg. 

The surgery to replace the cranial cap on the right side of her head is in the offing now.  Hopefully, and with many prayers and God's wonderful power through the surgeons back at Brooke Army Medical Center (which is where she will go for the surgery), she will continue to progress and heal and there will be no setbacks.  But, again, that's likely a month or so down the road.  She needs to be much stronger and even a bit more rehabbed (if that's a word) than she is now. 

This evening before George and I left the facility, I had been brushing her teeth and getting her ready for the night.  I looked down into those beautiful blue eyes and something I said or did must have tickled her; she had the cutest little smile... just a little one... but the gleam in her eye was Kris!  How I long for that laugh and that smile.  It will come.  I know it will come.  We are in a place where miracles are happening every single day; tiny little miracles that mean so very much.  I met a lovely lady today whose mother is there; her dad and George have talked quite a bit.  The daughter's faith is so strong and we shed some tears together just exchanging explanations of what had been happening.  I meet people whose stories are remarkable and whose lives have been turned around and enriched by the things that have happened.  I don't know why this happened to Krissie; only God knows.  But I know her determination and gutsy little character will see her through, and we will all be better human beings because of her.

To all who have sent cards with wonderful, thoughtful things written inside, thank you, thank you, thank you.  They are all so welcome.  But even if you haven't sent a card, called or emailed, just your prayers alone are sufficient... truly that's what counts.  Kris was moved to a different room a week or so ago.  I'll give the full address below with the new room number.  The emails, the cards, the calls: I just can't say enough that my heart is so full with gratitude.  I will read each one to her now that she is fully awake; it's a wonderful way to spend time and let her know how many folks care about her and are praying for her.  Please do continue to keep her husband, Russ, and the children, Joshua and Andrea, in your prayers, too.  It is so difficult for them. 

May you each be so tremendously blessed!
With love and gratitude,
Carol and George

Maj. Kristine Ratliff
Texas Neuro Rehab Center
Room 308
1106 W. Dittmar Road
Austin, TX 78745

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

That letter was almost enough to bring tears to my eyes...Praise the Lord!!!!