Thursday, July 22, 2010

Meijer Gardens

OK, I took so many pictures today, I don’t even know where to start!

I called my good, good friend, Thelma, and asked her to go with us to The Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids today and she did.100_0158

I took my first picture at 10:38 AM and my camera did not turn off until an hour later.  Now that I think about it, it seems we were there longer than that.

First, I’ll post a few pictures from the Chihuly “A New Eden” Collection scattered throughout the Gardens.100_0109 100_0121100_0125100_0186100_0338100_0220

Next, a few sculptures.

My favorite was “Grandpa, The Storyteller.”  Here’s a collage of different views.2010 July 22 Meijer Gardens sculptures-1

Fred and Lena Meijer.100_0293

The most fascinating was the giant horse.  That’s Don and I near the horses raised hoof.  Notice the little boy UNDER the stallion’s back raised foot!  This is one huge sculpture which the garden’s placed in a “hole” to help protect it from high wind.100_0299

100_0300100_0301100_0302

These three figures were made of metal letters of the alphabet.100_0321100_0322

Okey Dokey, get ready for the plants and flowers.  We are in a GARDEN, after all.  I’m in heaven.100_0142I took so many pictures of the most beautiful flowers that I had to put them together in collages because I don’t want you to miss any of them. Remember to click on the picture to open on another page and see a larger view. 2010 July 22 Meijer Gardens-52010 July 22 Meijer Gardens-62010 July 22 Meijer Gardens-72010 July 22 Meijer Gardens-8 2010 July 22 Meijer Gardens-9

In the Rain Forest section, there were a few really colorful birds.  You have to be very patient to get pictures.100_0221

This little fellow was really shy, hiding under the foliage.100_0222But finally, he came out and showed me both sides.  I took this shot as he looked at me and then….100_0226he hopped around as if to say, “Here, get this side.”100_0227

The amazing thing about this tiny fellow was his tail feathers.100_0223Every bit of 12” to 15” long.  And they split when he flew, like a scissor tail.100_0224Finally got all of his tail feathers in the picture.100_0225

Back outside, Thelma humored me and walked with me to the wildflower field.100_0319

Reminds me of a pyrotechnic show.100_0249

Crown of Thorns plant.100_0171

In the children’s area was this replica of Michigan (where I’m standing) surrounded by the Great Lakes.  The children could pick up a boat and play in the water with it.  Where’s Don?
100_0262

Thelma is telling me how to determine a white pine tree.100_0309

Don, patiently waiting for us to return from the wildflower field.100_0310

I’m trying to hide behind Thelma, just in case the dragon breaths fire!100_0286

From all the walking we did, we have worked up an appetite, so we head to the little town of Rockford to the The Mill/Arnie’s for lunch by the Rogue River.  Great suggestion, Thelma.  The food was excellent.

Back at the Q, Thelma’s car wouldn’t start, so Don got out his trusty jumper cables and jumped her car.  It was raining and he got soaked, but felt good that he could help her get her car going.  She left us a copy of “My Life With Jim” which I read this afternoon.  What an angel she was for Jim and he for her. 

She returned about 7:30 to bring some of Jim’s famous Ritz cracker/peanut butter/dipped in chocolate cookies and to tell us to come to her house if it storms and we’d all get in the basement together.

We have had some rain, lightning and thunder, but so far, not tornadoes or wind here.  LoPo and NoPo may experience some severe weather and Dave and Darlene.  We’re praying they don’t.  They are slightly south and east of where we are tonight.

I talked to Kathy today and Jack is doing great. They were piddling around in the garage, so he had her put his sling back on his arm so he wouldn’t forget and move it.  Really thankful that he’s doing well and praying he has minimal soreness.

We love the emails we have received today.  We can never hear from our friends too much.

It’s been a glorious day, praise the Lord.  We are so blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW those are plants that look like some one used their imagination to make!!! GOD!! Beautiful pictures, maybe someday Lind and I will make it there..

Norm and Lori said...

I am so glad that you made it to Meijer Gardens. We have not been there, (yet), but have heard great things about it, and now we have seen a glimpse of it thru your camera lens. Beautiful, just beautiful. So nice that Thelma was able to join you and that you were able to visit with her. Take care and keep those pictures coming. Love, LoPo

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing all those great pictures! We are sitting at the table enjoying a leisurely breakfast on our day off. The breezes are gentle, we have Pandora set to praise music, the Wall Street Journal (courtesy of the neighbors) and your blog! What wonderful way to start the day.

Mrs. Monty said...

LaVon, every time I look at your blog with pictures I feel like I have been to that place. Beautiful pictures. Looks like a wonderful place to visit. Stay safe.