Thursday, October 14, 2010

Terrific Thursday in Texas (Waco)

Just to show you what a beautiful day it is here today, I took a few pictures of the lake here.100_3849100_3850100_3851100_3852100_3853100_3855

Someone wanted to see how my new hair color looks in the sunshine, so here it is.  100_3857-1

S-I-L has suggested a few places for us to have lunch today, so we chose Gerik’s Ole Czech Bakery near downtown to meet Marzie and Donna.  Marzie and Don were in the Navy together, several moons ago and it always fun to connect with them again.100_3858

Let me just say that you should eat at Gerik’s when in Waco.  Marzie had a burger that required two buns to cover the meat.  Don thoroughly enjoyed a chicken fried steak that was thick, tender and no gristle.  His chicken fry was served with a mountain (I’m not joking) of real mashed potatoes and beautiful green beans.  I had chicken tenders that were yummy and Donna had a chicken salad sandwich on a croissant which was served with homemade potato chips. Outstanding!  You know, I get a little distracted when there is good food sitting in front of me.  The camera was the furthest thing from my mind today.

After lunch, Don and I drove around some of Don’s local haunts when he managed the 7-Up bottling plant here… such as Jasper’s BBQ, which I failed to capture in the lens.

We had to cross the Brazos River to get to Jasper’s. There’s the bridge we’re going to:100_3859

Made it.100_3861

There’s the bridge we were on.100_3862

The McClendon County Courthouse is getting some TLC.100_3863

Waco has some very interesting architecture.100_3865100_3866

And some gorgeous old homes.  Oh, look!  This one has added a ‘Texas room’ on the second floor, no less.  Our RV resort friends will understand what I’m speaking of.100_3868

100_3869

Tonight was Camden’s school program.  Leslie was more upset than I thought at the thought of missing his program because she had to coach a volleyball game late this afternoon.  Her game was in town, however, and we promised to video Camden’s program for her and take pictures in case she didn’t make it.  Well, she made it and burst into tears when she realized that she hadn’t missed the part of the program that Camden’s class was in.  So she got to take pictures and I videoed as planned.  Seven year old Emma took my camera and sat on the floor at the front by her mom and took these pictures.  She did great!  Camden (3 yrs old) was such a big boy and so focused on the director, taking his eyes off in between songs just long enough to wave at us and Grammie a couple of times.  I did capture a really sweet picture on video of him blowing a kiss to his mommy.  Is it any wonder that she was so emotional about being here for her ‘big boy?’ 100_3884-12010 Oct 14 Waco-1

We’re so blessed to be here and be included in there lives while here.  Precious time.  Thank you, LORD.

No comments: