Tuesday, September 2, 2008

No really... what IS 'grace'???

Again, I refer to the Love Worth Finding Daily Devotional by Dr. Adrian Rogers.  He explains 'grace' so beautifully. 

September 2

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“...the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Psalm 84:11

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There are three words that came together at Calvary: justice, mercy and grace.

Justice is getting what we deserve.

Mercy is not getting what we deserve.

Grace is getting what we don’t deserve.

But wait a minute; grace is more than that! It is grace that gives at great cost to the giver. It is not cheap. Grace cost the life of God’s Son. Jesus gave freely of Himself in agony and blood. Did you know that grace has to chase us down? If God didn’t run faster than us, we would never be saved! Grace seeks to give to vile and wicked people that which they don’t deserve and can never deserve.

ACTION POINT:
Are you a grace-giver? Find someone today and do a favor for them, something for which they couldn’t possibly repay you. Perhaps it will even be for a stranger you will never see again.

share devotional with a friend                 visit lwf.org

The exercise of 'grace' in our lives is actually a fruit of our relationship with the author of 'grace,' Jesus Christ.  It's an excellent gauge... if 'grace' is missing in my attitude toward others (co-workers, family, friends, myself), that' a good indication that my relationship with Jesus Christ needs immediate attention.  It's also a good indication that I don't really understand, or maybe even accept, the 'grace' that has been extended to me by my Savior.  The more I understand how much 'grace' has been extended to me and what it cost The Giver, the easier it is for me to extend grace to others.  After all, what audacity  I exhibit when I don't extend grace to others or even myself, when Jesus Christ already has.   

LORD, because and only because of the 'grace' You have chased me down and given me, may I always extend 'grace' to others in my life.

No comments: