Friday, July 17, 2009

Oklahoma Hurricanes

Yesterday, Thursday morning, I walked to the park with Don and the crows were out in full force.100_1552100_1553It seems that the new swing in the park is getting lots of use.looks like somebody has been using the swing in the parkToday, Rick had a good idea:  "Let's go see part of Oklahoma."  Don had picked up a magazine somewhere that was about the U.S. Route 66 through Oklahoma, so that's what we decided to do.

Lunch was at Montana Mike's in El Reno.  Very good food.

Even though Watonga is not on Route 66, Don wanted us to see their famous cheese factory.  You can see on the sign that they have a Cheese Festival every year.  We didn't have an address, so we drove around looking for the cheese factory.  How hard could it be to find? .... this is not a very big town. 100_1560There's the huge grain elevator.100_1561There's the courthouse with a copper dome.Watonga courthouseThere's a statue of a man on a horse.100_1569After making the block where Don was sure the cheese factory was, we finally stopped to ask the garbage pick-up guy, "Where is the cheese factory?" 

The garbage man was very helpful,

"Well, you know when that hurricane came through here, it just de-de-de..... wiped out the cheese factory and they haven't had enough money to build it back."

We thanked the garbage man quickly, as his garbage truck was leaving him and drove off.  Now, if you're not laughing, I guess it was a location thing and you just had to be there.  For one thing, Watonga, Oklahoma is in the middle of northwest Oklahoma... it's not hurricane country ... they have tornadoes.  We decided that maybe he was from New Orleans and relocated to Watonga after Katrina... who knows. 

Fourteen feet one inch.  Sure glad we're not pulling the fifth wheel.100_1570Driving through the Oklahoma countryside, I took a few pictures of old and not-so-old barns ..... just for Snookie. 100_1574100_1581100_1585This picture is for Sharon and Elizabeth.  We do love our horses.100_1587This is either a very tall well or a brick silo.  Either way, it's leaning.100_1591Nice place, huh?100_1592This cross is located north of Oklahoma City on I-35.  A cross is always a reminder to me of Jesus Christ and what He did for me.  Because of Jesus Christ and His Word where I find His promises to me, regardless of what is going on in this chaotic world, I have peace.100_1595Finally, on US Route 66, we saw this huge soda bottle by the highway in front of a place called POPS.  Guess what?  This bottle and straw is 66 feet tall and weighs over four tons.  If you are ever in Oklahoma on Route 66 near Arcadia, check out POPS.  It's a really cool place.  Read all about it on their website.  At night, this big bottle lights up.Pops on Rt 66A few miles further is Arcadia where the next Route 66 attraction was found, the Arcadia Round Barn.100_1607This barn was built in 1898 and was restored in the early 1990's. Big Red Barn, Arcadia, OKSnookie, I thought you would enjoy this picture of an old building. Not sure if it's a one-seater or two-seater, I didn't look inside. outhouseInside the barn.100_1605View from Route 66.100_1610Over $165,000 was raised to restore the old barn after the roof collapsed in 1988.  The brick wall and sidewalk bricks were purchased by interested citizens.100_1611Many antique farm implements were a part of this farm and are on display.100_1601100_1620100_1617Originally, there was a great shot of my three tourist buddies, but when I looked through my viewfinder.... 100_1625It took some coaxing, but I finally got this much cooperation.100_1626An old building across the street from the old round barn. 100_1624

I also learned today that Sam Walton, creator of Wal-Mart Inc., was born in Kingfisher, Oklahoma.  I always thought he was born in Arkansas.

Here's another old building for Snookie.  Looks like it may have actually been a dwelling.100_1632 

With temperatures only reaching 90 degrees, today was a great day for sightseeing with wonderful friends. 

We are so blessed.

1 comment:

ttprincess1226 said...

Yes, I do enjoy the horse photos. I have been visiting my barn friends and riding my old horse lately. I'll try to remember my camera and take a picture of him. Glad to see you having a fun summer!