Monday, July 6, 2009

Long Shadows

Before leaving to go to Mama's this morning, I decided to cook an old fashioned bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.  Don said, "no thanks" and went 'upstairs' to take a shower and get ready for the day.  The oatmeal takes about 10-20 minutes of slow cooking, so I opened my emails while waiting.  Don came down ready to take his morning stroll so I grabbed my camera and went with him.  We walked around one park block and down the road to ... AM long shadows .... the RV park park.  For some reason the long shadows fascinated me this morning.  Right after I took this picture, the good Lord dropped this thought into my little pea brain, "Oatmeal on the stove." park at A-AAA RV Park -- long morning shadows "OH, HON, my oatmeal is on the burner!"  And he suggested I get moving to take care of it instead of walking at his pace back to the 'Q.'  So I took off running back.  Thankfully, the oatmeal was just beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan and everything was fine and my breakfast was good.  You never did anything like that, did you?

Driving in to Norman, I took a few pictures along the way.  Guess I'm having dead tree withdrawals, but how does just one tree die in the middle of all the healthy trees?  Maybe it was struck by lightening.dead treeThis U.S. flag is flying proudly in the middle of nowhere.  It's actually at the front of someone's home property, but the house isn't visible because it sets far back from the highway.  I love the flag flying in the wind with clouds behind.100_1125

We spent the day at Mama Trudy's.  She wasn't having one of her better days.  Very light headed and not understanding why as her blood pressure was where it needed to be.

Don took daughter, LaNae, to lunch just to spend some time with her and assure her of our love and support for her.  He's so sweet and it made me cry when he told me what he wanted to do.  They had a good time together and she came back to Mama Trudy's with him to hang out with us for the afternoon. 

While they were gone, Mama took a walk and when she came back she told me about Dorothy down the sidewalk a few doors, who she talked to while she was walking.  Dorothy is very concerned for a friend who is in a local nursing home and refuses to talk to her about Jesus Christ or where he will be spending eternity.  He just recently found out that he has lung cancer and probably only has a few weeks to live.  Dorothy was very burdened for Charles.  As mama was telling me about Dorothy and Charles, I felt that I should go down and pray for Charles with Dorothy.  Well, Dorothy has a yapping little dog, so we walked back to Mama's apartment and visited and prayed for Charles.  We know that God is working in his heart.  It was amazing to listen to Dorothy talk about her life calling.  She told of at least four death bed conversions she had been instrumental in leading her patients to the Lord.  I'm talking about people who were dying before they surrendered their life to the Lord.... the only way they had of confirming their heart was to squeeze Dorothy's hand and maybe open their eyes to look at her before drawing their last breath.  That's wonderful and sad at the same time.  Wonderful that they will spend eternity with Jesus, but sad that they missed the joy of living for Him while alive on this earth.  I got a phone call before Dorothy left and was on the phone when she walked over and kissed me on the cheek before she left ... oh, the joy of living for Him.  I firmly expect Dorothy or someone of God's choosing will be able to speak with Charles before it's too late.

Mama Trudy slept a lot today, but when she got up this afternoon, she felt like playing dominos, so we did.  She and Don both beat me today!   She wouldn't let me fix dinner for her as she always wants to do for herself when she feels like it and she said she felt like it.  We want to preserve for her as much of her independence as we can.

Tonight, Rick and Wendy came over and we planned our road trip this coming weekend.  We are all very excited about going to Missouri to visit DeAnn and Bruce Hoover at their condo on Lake of the Ozarks.  We also learned that Jack and Cathy Montgomery will be coming to the lake, as well.  Can't you just hear us all talking at once?!

Tomorrow, doctor appointment for Mama and down to only two drops three times a day!

We are so blessed and we praise God.

No comments: