If you find a discrepancy, take a copy of the receipt inside and complain. Usually, they will refund your change without questioning you, especially if they have rigged the pump.
There is also a number on each pump that you can call and complain.
Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:
- Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank,
- then look at the dollar amount.
- If the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged.
- If gas is $3.71 9/10 per gallon; the dollar amount for 10 gallons should be $37.19.
- ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PUMP AT THE 10 GALLON MARK.
- If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the state Agriculture Department, and direct your comments to the Commissioner; the info is on the gas pumps.
Please send this to all the people in your address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of
customers. The gas companies are making enough profits at honest rates.
This is the same thing as the butcher with his finger on the scale; the company has nothing to do with the station owner's practices.
Yes, the big oil is making big bucks but the dishonest guy will still be dishonest. Be a good steward of your resources and help keep the gas station owners honest.