Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Uncle Carma Lois Rhodes

When my cell phone rang this morning, I recognized the 214 area code, but I did not recognize the number. 

"Hello?" 

Female caller:  "Is this LaVon DeRusha?" (my maiden name)

"Huh, yes, who is this?"

"This is your cousin, Jan?"

Well, I said "Shut-up!"  And we laughed and exchanged "how-are-you's" and then she said in a more solemn voice, "The real reason I called," (and I thought, "Oh no.") "is to tell you that daddy passed away last night." (gasp)

Uncle Carmie was a favorite and the younger brother of my step-dad, who died in 1992.  Uncle Carmie was 96 years old, living with his 93 year old bride of over 75 years, in the Twilight Home in Corsicana, Texas since February.  Before that, they lived at home.  He fell about a week ago and broke his leg, made it through surgery, and then pneumonia took him.  Uncle Carmie and Aunt Lillian have eight living children ranging in age 50 to 75 with 24 grandchildren and spouses, 32 great grandchildren and spouses, and 8 great great grandchildren.

Jan and I chatted about Uncle Carmie being in heaven and suffering no more.  Jan told me that a nurse had told her something that gave her much comfort:  Last night while she was attending to Uncle Carmie, the nurse said he raised his hands up toward the ceiling and said "Mama."  We are all sure that he saw Mam-maw, his mother, and she was welcoming him Home.  After Jan hung up, I called LaNae and asked her to go over to Mama Trudy's to tell her.  LaNae offered to take mama to the funeral and she is planning to go.  I appreciate your prayers for them as they travel, attend the funeral and see relatives and friends.

I apologize that this post reads somewhat like an obit, but I needed to write down these words.  Thank you.

Please read the following post.

No comments: