Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Terrific Tuesday in Coffeyville

About noon time today, Don was bored and wanted to go somewhere.  He was also hungry and since it's very chilly here, Mexican food sounded yummy.  We stopped at El Pueblitos (the small towns) and are delighted to report we have found another really fine restaurant.  Reasonable, too.  Didn't get lunch for $3.99/each like we did yesterday at the Chinese place, East Gourmet, but it was reasonable.  This huge mural was on the wall close to our table.  Sad.100_8288 Coming in the front door, you see this painted on the wall.  Want to save money?  Just eliminate the picture frames and glass and paint directly on the wall.  My grandson, Camden, thinks that's a 'marvee' idea. 100_8289 As we drove around, we noticed that the trees are really beginning to turn colors, especially after the freeze this morning.  This was beautiful.

100_8290Vickie, this is 509 Willow Street.  Does it look like you remember it?100_8293 This is also on Willow Street about a block away.100_8294I told Don that I want to spend a day taking pictures of all the churches in this town.  There's one on every corner and a few in between.  This is the First Presbyterian Church, also on the corner of Willow Street and {squint... I can't read that street sign.}100_8296Evidence of Autumn. 100_8297 This tree was a really pretty purplish red (that is too a color, probably correctly called magenta or something like that), but the sun was so bright, it lost some of its brilliance in the picture.  OK, so I'm not a professional photographer!100_8299You can see this tree is just beginning to turn colors.  These trees are in the part of town that flooded in 2007... that's why you don't see any houses in these pictures. 100_8302 I didn't realize this was going to be such a good autumn subject (barn, hay bales, dead tree) until I saw the picture.  I was actually focused on the dead tree (shocker).  This is just across the street from our 5'er, so I'm going back in a bit to get a better picture.100_8304Here's an empty building with great potential to be a Cowboy Church.  It's in excellent condition.. almost looks new.100_8305Yes! There it is and it's truly dead.  There are no leaves lying on the ground around it.100_8307I've been wondering what was on down the road that goes past our RV out into the country side. 100_8308Here's a close up of a three-arch concrete bridge built in 1926 over the Verdigris River, which flooded in June, 2007.  "1926" is etched right in the top of the cross piece, but of course, you can't see it in the picture.  I didn't see it as I was taking the picture, but Don saw it.100_8313The Verdigris River under the concrete bridge.  Doesn't look much like a flood threat, does it?100_8314Not surprising to see levees built up on the town side of the river.100_8315And we're back at the campground in time for mail time.100_8324

       

~~~Promise of God~~~

God has promised His people (those who have a personal relationship with Him) eternal life.

John 10:27-29

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me,

29 for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.

New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004

1 comment:

Mrs. Monty said...

Trying to get caught up on the blogs tonight. Enjoyed yours, as usual, hearing all about your travels. Loved all your pictures. We haven't been to Coffeyville but after seeing all your pictures feel like we have seen a lot of it. Take care and keep up your good work on the blog.