Friday, October 17, 2008

10-14-08 thru 16-08

It's been a few days since I last posted.

Tuesday afternoon, we received a knock on our door.  A dear gentleman, Gene, from a few doors down, came to tell us of a couple in the park who lost their dog after she chewed up a bottle of meds yesterday.  When they got home and found her, they rushed her to the vet in Independence, but she didn't make it.  We thanked Gene for letting us know, and we put on our shoes and headed over to the Bligh's to check on them and see if there was anything we could do for them.  Mrs. Bligh was still visibly shaken from the ordeal.  Bob was being strong and not showing emotion but he was talking about Jazz.  They both had wonderful things to say about the vet they took her to.  I had met Bob and Jazz a few days ago and regret that I didn't have my camera with me.  She was two years old, white with black speckles.  Here's a pic of Simon Bligh.  Bob says if you want a watchdog, don't get a greyhound.  They are so kind.100_8177And Sadie Bligh... she's 12 years old and not feeling to well.100_8178We love meeting new friends, but we regret the circumstances that brings about these meetings occasionally.

Wednesday morning, we arose early and were on the rode to Norman, OK by 7:15 am.  Don's Uncle Eddie's went home to be with the Lord on Saturday, 11/11/08, after a long bout with heart disease, COPD and diabetes.  His wife is Don's mother's sister who is only 10 years older than Don.  Don and Bernice grew up together and and very close.

We had an early dinner with LaNae, Mike and Blaine.  Lydia was at swimming lessons and was spending the night with a friend.  It was so good to get to spend a little time with them.  We got to hear all about Mike & Blaine's father/son camp-out with their church and how Blaine got lost... it still scares Blaine to talk about it.  Didn't make Mike feel real good when it happened either. 100_8198They debated on the way home whether they would tell Mama that Daddy almost lost her son.100_8197Mike was pretty nervous about surgery he's having on his shoulder the next morning.  We prayed for him. [He came through the surgery with flying colors and the doctor said the spurs weren't as bad as he thought they were going to be... one little spur is still very painful and he had more than one little one.] After dinner LaNae had to go to class for an anatomy exam. [She felt like she did really well on it... we prayed God would give her instant recall.]  All too quickly was our time with them over.  100_8196Our evening was happily spent playing dominoes with Mama Trudy. We were all tired and went to bed before 10:00 pm.  We had had a tough day and Mama had been busy all day and had not taken one nap... she usually takes two... so we turned in.

Thursday, we drove up to Cedar Valley RV Park just west of Guthrie, OK to visit Dennis and Sally Maloney, CRM General Director.  [If you're interested in purchasing an RV park, this is a beautiful park with about 90 sites, wrapped by a golf course and it's going to be auctioned off on October 30th.  Grab your check book, you can probably get it at a really good price! This is a view from the Maloney's RV of part of the golf course.  The park is up on a hill and you can see for miles.  Really pretty.]100_8203 They are there resting and visiting family until Sunday, at which time they will head for there winter ministry destination of Alamo, Texas. As we drove through Guthrie, I couldn't take all the pictures of the beautiful old homes along the way, but there are some really nice ones.  I think I recall that Guthrie has a Home Show, annually.  I sure would love to see inside these homes.  Sorry, this one is a little blurry... we were moving, you know.  They are all so well preserved.100_8200100_8206100_8207100_8208100_8209Our firemen friends will appreciate this picture of an old fire station. (I almost missed it.)100_8202And the church buildings were plentiful.  Here's the First Baptist, the Methodist (with dome) and the Presbyterian Church (tall building beyond the Methodist church) all together. 100_8205 We headed west on Hwy. 33 toward Cushing, OK.  We crossed the Cimarron River at least three time... it sure is winding. 100_8213100_8215The Arkansas River, pictured here, flows right through Tulsa.100_8216Here are a few pictures of north Oklahoma countryside.100_8214100_8217 100_8218100_8220100_8221We saw several areas that have been destroyed by fire in the past summers. 

We arrived back in Coffeyville around 4:00 pm, in time to be home when Sally brought the mail and checks from the Express Personnel office in Independence.  A few folks came by to get their mail.  Tomorrow is my long day as workamper employees may pick up their checks from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm. from me, so being tired, we were ready to turn in.

"Being transformed into Jesus' image is a lifelong process.  Ask God to help you cooperate with Him in strengthening the family likeness."- Dr. Charles Stanley

1 comment:

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

Sorry for your loss, Don. Glad you made the round trip safely. Take care and we miss you guys.