Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My foot hurt… until I saw a man with no leg.

I should go to bed, but I can’t sleep.  So much is running through my head.  Not a day full of good news.

It’s all started with a text from Stephanie regarding her father-in-law, Gary Vaughan:  “Gary just called. It’s stage-4 and the doctors aren’t offering much hope.  Please pray for him!”

We prayed.

Middle of the afternoon.  My phone rang.  It was our dear, dear, sweet friend, Nancy Beilke (Tip O’ Texas).  Mutual friend, Jeanelle Barry, told her to call me.  When she said that, I knew something was wrong.  “LaVon, I have breast cancer.”  Air left my lungs.  We are grateful that the news got better… they found the lump very early and it’s stage 2, but it’s the “traveling” kind.  She’s waiting for the mastectomy to be scheduled.

I prayed with her on the phone.

5:30 PM.  Park manager, Melinda, knocked on our door.  Her brother, Kevin, has just finished chemo and radiation on a tumor in his esophagus near his heart.  He’s 6’1” and now at 130 pounds and can’t swallow and they can’t do surgery for four to six weeks.  Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.  Kevin has been here, so we’ve met him, but he’s back down in the RGV where his doctors are.  Melinda and her husband, Sonny, rotate going down to stay with him.

We are praying for Kevin.

Our neighbor had to rush his wife, who is recovering from a hysterectomy (they thought she had cancer, but thankfully she doesn’t) and suffering with major back and sciatica pain, to the hospital.  She has three blood clots in her lungs and pneumonia in one lung.

We are praying for Delores and Jim.

Tonight, I read an email from a friend in New Mexico, regarding his wife: 

Terri has been hospitalized since Wed. A week ago she had another round of Chemo, and it had severe affects on her mouth and tongue. Severe sores like burns and she hasn't eaten for 6-7days and her drinking is limited. She has lost an extreme amount of weight and is very weak. They are hydrating her in the hospital and hoping to get the mouth/tongue issue resolved so she might be able to drink. I'm suspecting at least a few more days of hospitalization.
Additionally, the cancer in the liver is becoming a real problem.
My guess is that the doctor is going to stop Chemo, which will result in all probability, a rapid end to her battle.
Al Viscardi

We are praying for Al and Terri.

Our Waco friends, Donna & Marzie Hughlett… Donna posted on FaceBook today:  I want to thank everyone who has been praying for mama. She and daddy are now two-stepping together again. (in heaven)

We are praying for Donna and family.

And then there were several messages from friends requesting prayer on a personal level.

Oh, yes, and we’re processing the east coast earthquake, along with everyone else in the U.S. and various parts of the world.  And praying for those there.

I find comfort and peace in the fact that God is not surprised by anything and His grace is sufficient.  We are trusting Him with each situation.

To God be the glory, but I still hate cancer.

No comments: