Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kris Update: “These Few Days”

Hey, LaVon and Don!

We so enjoyed the Opa’s sausages today.  Came home to make dinner and George had the grill out all set to grill ‘em for me.  They are delicious.  Gotta thank ya again, Don!!
 
I’ve attached a couple of photos: one taken yesterday when Kris decided to “boogie” with Dad after she had walked up and down the steps,Kris & George 8-26-2011 and the other taken today when she “rang the bell!”  Kris 8-27-2011They do that when they are leaving.  Since she’ll be discharged Monday, she was able to ring it today even though she may come back for a week or so for rehab before going into the VA.  (Still not sure that will work here, but we’re going somewhere!!!)
 
Have to tell you, though, these past few days have been remarkable.  Haven’t seen her this animated or involved or “up” since December when she was doing so good.  Actually, she is even better now.  When she went in to have the endometrial ablation on Wednesday, they put a patch behind her ear (the kind used for motion sickness, etc.) to keep her from having nausea during the procedure.  It must be something they do now.  Anyway, it seemed as though that must have triggered something or reduced the fluid in her ears and her glands (which it’s supposed to do) which likely (I think, anyway) reduced some of the fluid in her head.  If that’s the case, we are surely on the right track for next week! 

Kris has been walking better (still assisted) and just so focused and together with everything since Wednesday.  Even Thursday when she was still resting and getting over the anesthesia from Wednesday, she was letting the nurse know to add more water to the Jevity so it won’t stop up the feed line (she points), and she was just so sweet and agreeable!  Friday, she just blew everyone away with her PT abilities.  She walked (again assisted) up and down the steps so well, and then she walked all over the place, then she got in her wheel chair and “walked” herself out into the hall, over to the cafeteria and nodded when I asked her if she wanted some yogurt.  When Dr. Onghai was saying good-bye (in case he didn’t see us Monday), I gave him a hug and she held up her arms (both of them!) for him to give her a hug, too.  She has never done that before.  She’s alert!  She pointed to my hands last night and we decided she must want her wedding ring or one of her rings to wear.  When I asked her, she shook her head yes.  I took a ring in to her this morning and gave it to her, and she wanted it on her finger.  She pointed to the lesions on my cheek with a questioning look, and I told her “yes” they’re getting all better. 

There’s just so much more to tell, but... well, I wanted you to know because I do believe God is telling me Kris is going to make great strides next week.  I am just so excited!!!  Had to share it with you all.
 
See you on the 7th!  Not sure where we’ll be yet, but we’ll figure it out.  What time is Don’s appointment?
 
Love you both!
 
Carol and George

[As I was reading this email to Don, I got so choked up with joy at Kris’s improvement, I had to stop a minute to rejoice and regain my voice.  Praise God!  We all continue to pray and thank God for how marvelously He is working on Kris’s behalf and expect to hear even more wonderful news in the future.]

No comments: