Monday, June 27, 2011

Trenton, GA to Jackson, MS

It’s the dreaded time to go.  I tried to enjoy every moment with mama, but about three days ago, thoughts of this morning crept into my mind and Mama having me take pictures of the clothes she wants to be buried in, did not help the way I was feeling at all… all a matter of facts to her.  I tried to focus on the humor of her picking out what she wanted to be wearing and considering what season it might be at the time… always conscious of looking good.  So, here we are, taking pictures before the hugs and the tears… my brother, Jon, beautiful Mama Trudy and I.100_4583-2I cried, Jonny cried, Mama cried.  I held her for a long time, recording the preciousness of her in my mind.  She instructed me to stop crying so I could see how to drive safely.  I tried, but the tears continued to flow miles down the road.  It just wasn’t a good morning all around.  Don started the night last night with acid reflux and woke during the night with fever, chills and a sick stomach.  I woke up this morning with a light head… objects just seemed to float.  Thankfully, it wasn’t severe while driving.  The way we felt made for a long travel day. 

Around 11:00 AM, Don decided he felt like driving, so I took a few pictures.  This bicyclist fascinates me.  If he needed to stop quickly and put his feet down, how would he do that when his feet are over the handle bars?  He’s also totally covered in clothing and, let me tell you, it’s hot! 100_4585

Here’s a close-up:  the white on his face is a beard.100E4586

We sure are enjoying seeing green as we know we won’t see it when we get back to Texas.100_4587

Around 11:30, we were in Mississippi. 100_4588

I see signs like this a lot and love them, but rarely am I prepared with camera ready.  I love everything about this sign… the background of the flag and the message, it is powerful.  It’s sad that most people who see it don’t understand it.100_4590

Finally, around 3:30 PM, we reached Jackson, Mississippi, where Don had made a reservation at a La Quinta motel, where I promptly crawled into this wonderfully comfortable bed and proceeded to sleep for two hours.100_4594Don’s mode of relaxation was the pool.

Feeling much better after resting, we headed out to find dinner and were successful when we spotted an Outback just down the street from our bedroom.  Beau was our waiter and he was great… laid back, personable, and always there just a split second before we realized we needed something.  I regretted that I had decided to leave my camera in the car and I don’t have a fancy phone that takes good pictures.  Regarding the food, may I recommend the Norwegian grilled salmon.

True to his nature, Don decided to go see the Ross Barnett Reservoir as we were only a mile or two from it. 100_4598 100_4600 100_4601 100_4602 100_4604 100_4608 100_4611 100_4612

We enjoyed our ride and what we saw of Jackson, Mississippi and were impressed.

We ended today being very thankful for God’s protection and blessings, especially rest, feeling better and answered prayers.

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

Linda and I like Mississippi!! We usually go through Jackson on our way to Picayune. We stopped on our way down last time just a few miles East of Jackson. Always enjoy going there. Glad you got to visit your Mama Trudy. Not a lot of fun leaving though.