Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday. 7/8/08

I think I will post a few pictures today.

Here's another Cooper for you, Stephanie.  I took this Saturday when I went to get a haircut.  This guy was sitting in the parking lot.  I wanted to go over and ask if I could take pictures of the interior, but I chickened out.  Can you believe it?  Anyway, it was a cutie..... the car. 100_7236Let me think... this African Violet is... well, it's old.  It moved with me from Texas in 1995 and I don't remember how long I had it before that... maybe 10 or 11 years.  Remarkable.  Now it lives in the window here at Mama's and seems to be very happy.  Those look like happy blossoms to me, don't they to you? 100_7238 This is just one of the many quilts that Mama Trudy has made.  All the quilt tops that she has quilted were quilted by hand.100_7239 This is the one she has on her bed.  I love it.  Do you see that waistline on my Mama?... at 90!!! You bet, I'm jealous! And a lot bitter that I didn't get those genes. (ok, ok... count it all joy.) Focus... the subject here is the beautiful quilt that Miss Tiny Waist made. (i can't seem to stop myself.)100_7240Very pretty and different color of petunias in Mama's flower bed. They're almost a perfect reflection (just a shade lighter) of the African Violet that sits in the window just above them.100_7242 Good friends Richard and Susan came over last night and Don prepared a scrumptious meal for us: pork loin (with a mushroom, green onion, orange marmalade, & soy sauce glaze added to slices served... where was my camera???) mashed potatoes, green beans and this beautiful salad.100_7246 For dessert:  A banana split pie made with graham cracker crust, vanilla pudding, bananas, crushed pineapple, luscious fresh strawberries and.....100_7243100_7244 100_7245 We played Spades after dinner.  Yeah for the girl's team!! (we put a whoopin' on da boys, but it took us over an hour to do it... hey, a win is a win [oh my goodness, i'm arguing with myself]) We had a much needed time of fun, food (not so much needed as enjoyed) and fellowship.  Thanks Susan and Richard.  We sure do love ya'll..100_7247Mama did two sessions of therapy today, one in the A.M. and one in the P.M.   It's fun and we laugh a lot... mostly me laughing at her because she's so dad-gum funny.  She laughs at herself, too, and it's funny when she thinks she's funny.  Just funny.  And she's so cute. After her afternoon therapy session, she went out on the porch to get some fresh air warm.  I'm sure she will be glad when we're gone and she can have her thermostat back.  It's not freezing cold in the apartment, but it's also not 80 degrees.100_7259I'm not too crazy about the view out Mama's front window and door... a garage, which isn't hers, btw.100_7261 But just to the right is a nice view of the apartments across the street.100_7263 Mama has really sweet neighbors.  All the single story dwellings are senior housing and most of the people living across the street in the two-story are adults.100_7260 Some of the things hanging on her bedroom wall.100_7249100_7250on the living room wall.  (remember this, Tammy?) Down in the lower right hand corner, is stitched T.E.C. 12-93.  Granddaughter Tammy made this for Mama Trudy and it pretty much says how we all feel about her.100_7255100_7257100_7252

This is a picture of me, about 16 or 17 years old, and my beautiful quarter horse, Little Joe Jake.  I wish you could see this complete western outfit up close.  Mama made it 100_7253out of creme & gold brocade (flowers in gold metallic thread) with beautiful fancy yokes on pants and vest.  The shirt was creme color lace. This was one of my outfits the year I was sweetheart of our riding club.  Sharon and Elizabeth, I told you I love horses.  These pictures are in Mama's 'work' room with pictures of my brother and all our kids and grandkids.

A note about the western outfit:  That summer, Mama made me four or five really fancy western outfits.  She got so burnt out sewing that she told me if I wanted any school clothes for my senior year, I would have to make them.  I got busy.  In 1966-67, when I was a senior, we wore dresses to school and I was very pleased with the clothes I sewed that summer.  We dressed really nice every day and learned how to dress professionally in preparation for college and a career.  We also, said the pledge of allegiance and had prayer before every athletic event.  Yes, I went to a public school.  Our teachers never worried about a student having a gun. I'm getting way off the subject of western wear, aren't I? 

I finished reading The Last Jihad by Joel Rosenberg.  It's riveting... especially the ending.bull_frog

2 comments:

Tammy said...

OK, so I had to make a list of the comments I wanted to make! Ugh.
First on the African Violets: must run in the family. I remember when we came back to the States when I started college, Dad 'inherited' a whole shelf full of these and he babied them more than puppies! They were gorgeous!
I love this quilt MT has on her bed. It's very similar to the one she made for me when I got married. Mine has fans on it, though, and no color blocking between the squares. Throughout our married lives, it has been our 'special blanket': if anyone was sick or needed comfort. . . they got Mama Trudy's quilt.
As far as a tiny waist is concerned, it's just not right that my two daughters and my GRANDMOTHER all have the same figure!! I'll leave it at that.
Of course, my drooling over the pie Don made is perhaps one of the reasons I bemoan a thinner waist on my daughters and grandmother! (I WILL say, from my corner, I have lost 4 pounds!)
I thought it was so funny to see MT sitting outside in OK heat and humidity in a sweatshirt! Her only saving grace is that it had her crocheted lace on it!!

Love you all!!! More than the universe.

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

I want the recipe for the pie!! The quilt was absolutely gorgeous. I didn't know you were a horsewoman. How interesting. Glad to see the flower pictures. I love african violets. My mom can grow them but I don't have a green thumb. Hope everything is going good. Glad to hear that you laugh a lot. My daughter made the comment that she laughs more now than she has in a long time. Laughing is good medicine. Take care and we miss you. Rick was thrilled to hear from Don the other day. Thanks so much. We love you guys!