Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mama Trudy - more early childhood remembrances

Next memory as told by Mama Trudy:

"We still lived in Oklahoma and had moved just down the road from a grocery store. Mama's Papa died, who I do not ever remember seeing.  I also, do not know where Grandpa Anderson lived... maybe in Texas. Mama, Papa and Grady left to go to the funeral and us three older kids, Floyd Angel (at least 6), Jennie Catherine (5 years old) and I (between 3 - 4 years old) were left in the care of Grandma (Mary Catherine) Pillow (about 5'6"-140 pounds) who was living with us at the time. She liked to make quilt tops and quilts... guess I inherited the love of quilting and piecing quilt tops from her. While Mama & Papa were away, Grandma laid out a quilt lining on the floor and was placing pieces of hand carded cotton on the lining for quilting. Being the active children that we were, Floyd, the oldest was running through the room and ran right over Grandma's neatly placed pieces of cotton.  Jennie followed Floyd and I was right on her heels, with Grandma yelling "Stop that! Stop that!  I'll tell your Papa on you if you don't stop!"  Floyd and Jennie promptly stopped, but I wasn't accustomed to obeying anyone else but Floyd and he didn't tell me to stop so thinking this was great fun, I ran across the lining and cotton again. This time Floyd stopped me and Grandma went about repairing the damage muttering her disapproval, probably in Italian.  And that's all I remember about that."

"One incident I was too young to remember, but just remember being told about it.  It was in the wintertime in Oklahoma and the ashes had been removed from the stove to a bucket on the floor.  There were still some live coals in it and I started to play in the ashes and a live coal stuck to my arm just above my wrist. (I'm winching)  Must have been a deep burn because I still bear the scar."

No comments: