Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Two responses!

Remember the antique manure spreader I posted a picture of last Saturday?  No?  Ok, here it is, again.100_0923

100_0065 2You may have read Joel Floto’s comment that in his youth, he used one just like this and spread a lot of manure.  It was smelly work, but he enjoyed it.  Funny, isn’t it? When we say that now, we’re usually talking about something other than fertilizing the farm crops. 

Well, tonight I received an email from Bruce Hoover100_1208.  Check it out!

“Howdy .. so enjoy Brother Don's weekly messages .. btw, one of my tasks as a young man on the farm was to rebuild a manure spreader, just like the one shown in your picture.  We removed the seat and the hitch and put a draw bar on it so we could pull it behind a tractor.  I replaced the wooden sides (the floor boards were still in good shape ??)  and painted the wood and the wheels .. I think the boards were red and the wheels yellow ;>)  Didn't paint the paddles .. didn't see the point.  I also had the privilege of filling the thing several times as I cleaned out various barns around the farm.  Pulling it behind a tractor it would pitch the poop really high in the air ;>)  Aren't you glad I shared this bit of my past??!!”

Yes, Bruce, I am glad you shared this “blast from your past!!” 

Thanks to Joel and Bruce for sharing their experiences with the manure spreader from yesteryear!!! I loved it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Monty said...

Caught with some of the blogs today. LaVon, I just love your picture at the beginning of your blog. Just beautiful!! You do such a good job with your pictures. Travel safe with all these storms around.
BTW, I was raised on a farm too, and we had one of these manure spreaders....