Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happy Birthday, Sally!

The activity of the day was going to Guthrie, Oklahoma, to visit CRM general director, Dennis and Sally Maloney. 

On the way, I took a picture of this big cross.  It’s a pretty busy picture and especially like the direction of the arrow in the picture with the cross.  The symbol of merging traffic sure feels like an invitation to everyone to join those on their way UP!100_1261

Pictures of a pine tree.

2010 May 18 Sally bday-1

I love having lunch in a place with a history and that’s just what we did today when Dennis took us to Stables Cafe in Guthrie, Oklahoma.  Stables Cafe was once the stable in Guthrie in the beginning.

Websitesmainpicture.jpg

Current view from the parking lot.100_1273

Inside the Stable Cafe was just as interesting.  Here’s a picture of the picture on the ladies room wall.100_1267

I enjoyed taco salad for lunch (Sharon, she’s at it again!!) even though there were no beans or avocados included.100_1270

Inside the Stable Cafe.100_1272

Dennis treated us in celebration of Sally’s birthday (today) and mine (Thursday).  Thank you, Dennis! Happy Birthday, Sally!!100_1269

(I just realized that Don and I are both wearing the exact same thing that we wore on our anniversary.)100_1271

(Flashback to May 5th:  And again, we are sitting at a restaurant table…. same as our anniversary.)100_0702

After our wonderful lunch at an interesting establishment, Dennis took us on a tour of historic downtown Guthrie.  If you click on this picture, you will be able to read some of the history of the building in the two following pictures.100_1279

Isn’t this interesting architecture?100_1278100_1280

Much of the architecture in Guthrie is Victorian in style.100_1282

Guthrie is one of the few towns in Oklahoma that still has several brick streets.100_1276

There are many beautiful old homes in Guthrie.  History states that the second story of this home was a ballroom.100_1287

I just liked this one… don’t know the history of it.100_1288

Notice the interesting sculpturing of the shrubs flanking the front step…100_1288-1

Back to Dennis and Sally’s RV, we sat outside and visited until 3:30.  100_1290 Fourteen year old Sam Maloney was allowed to be outside for most of that time.  I don’t know how much Sam weighs, but he is just one big cat… not fat… big…. and very pretty.2010 May 18 Sally bday-3

The birthday girls!  Well, ok, the one on the left is a birthday girl; the one on the right is a birthday old lady!100_1295

The Maloney’s have decided that being in Oklahoma in May is really not where they “need” to be so they are pulling out and headed for Branson early in the morning. We are so looking forward to being in the same area with them in south Texas in the fall and winter.

Of course, on our way back to the Q, I had to take a few pictures of this part of Oklahoma.100_1297

Just in case you’re wondering, that’s round bales of hay in the foreground.100_1299

This must be windmill row.  There must be a story about the four windmills in a row.100_1302

To me, it’s very sad that very soon, no one will know the history of some of these old farm houses and barns.  As long as there is a building standing, there should be someone alive to tell someone else it’s history.  But we don’t think about that, do we?  Do you know when the house was built that you grew up in or the house you lived in when you were born?  I don’t.  Therefore, is it really important.  I don’t know how important it is, but I still think it’s sad because the history of a home or barn is actually the history of the people who lived and worked there and that’s important.  What is their legacy?  Did they love and serve the Lord?  Did they make a difference for the Kingdom of God?  Was there love in this home?  I hope so.100_1296

3 comments:

Lavonda Pflug said...

I agree. I love knowing the history of an area...and it's people. Makes me think about my grandparents' home place. It sits in ruins now...wish my children could have known it "in the good old days."

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

Loved the pics. I would love to see the inside of that brick house you liked. I grew up in an old house that used to be an old Inn. It was the "Old Warner Inn." We found the sign in the attic. And outside was a big stone block for the women to step on when getting out of the carriage.

Peggy & Bill said...

I agree about the history of our old homes. I feel so bad when I see my grandmother's house & how it is such deplorable repair with relatives still living in it!!!! It was a beautiful, beautiful home when my Grandma lived there right next door to us. Oh the memories & the love!