Thursday, May 13, 2010

Going down/up the road

A few minutes past 8:30 this morning, we were on the road, headed north to Oklahoma.  Right on Don’s schedule.

Nothing much new or available to take pictures of during our first tank of gas, but after the first fill up,  I took a few pictures.

We topped a hill in the Hill Country and could see for miles.100_1080

Continuing my fascination with old houses and barns.100_1082

100_1083

Not to worry.  We’re only 12 ft. 8 in.100_1084

Ok, so THIS made me a little nervous.100_1087

All the green grass and trees looked so good to us.  He’s enjoying it, too.100_1095

You’re probably wondering why I took a picture of this fifth wheel, but I was actually taking a picture of that bank of dark clouds that seem to be getting closer.  We’ve been following rain ever since before Jacksboro, so, are we about to catch the cloud or is it coming toward us?100_1097

We decided that we caught up to the clouds, but we never got the rain, which was good.  We don’t relish pulling the fifth wheel in the rain.2010 May 13 RR to Newcastle-1

Another barn that appears to have not been used in a few years.100_1101An old house that was probably converted into hay storage.  That’s what my parents did with an old house on our place when I was a kid.100_1108

Odd shape, but old paint job, so it qualifies for the lens!100_1111

As I said before, it has rained all along our route.  Oh, look!! I got a bird in this picture!!100_1112

Talk about old and not used in years… is that a tree growing out the top of that old silo?100_1113

At 2:48 PM, we crossed the Texas – Oklahoma state line, the Red River.  This was our first sighting and then…100_1119

we crossed the bridge.100_1120

Welcome to Oklahoma.100_1121

Red dirt.  Yes.  We are in Oklahoma.100_1126

My favorite style of barn, however, it’s not too far out in the country.  Notice the half of a golden arch to the left.100_1136

OK, does it look like someone sheared the top out of this tree?100_1148

My final picture of the day… a family feeding the cows.  Well, that’s what I imagine they are doing, however, with all the grass here in the Springtime of the year, why would they be feeding the cows?  So maybe they are counting new baby calves.  Anyway, it’s cool that’s it’s a family affair, whatever they’re doing..100_1155

Don explained how tired he was as we neared our destination:  “I’ve driven a tank full of gas farther than I usually drive when we’re traveling.”

I haven’t mentioned that along the way, the temperature dropped from the low 80’s to 59, so it was a lot cooler getting set up than it was last summer.

Praise God, we had no problems or incidents and arrived safely.  We’ll take tired, happily, and go to bed.

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

More beautiful pictures!! Love em!