Monday, January 19, 2009

Court Whist

It's a game.

Monday is typically a day of rest for Don.  And today I begin leading the ladies in a study of the Names of God. What's in a name?  The significance of knowing the names of God.  We covered the introduction this morning and they seemed to enjoyed our time together.   I certainly did.

For lunch, Don and I drove over to Eloy to the famous pizza place for a small pizza and salad.  Yummy as always.

Back at the Quantum, I was awakened from my nap by HER.... again.  Thelma and I rode bikes for about five miles.  We did get a break when Sherry and Donna needed her, at Sherry's park model (when we rode by... SHE knows everyone), to sing the third part in a song they were rehearsing for gospel night at the jam session... which is every third Wednesday.  Two passes through this song she had never heard before and Thelma had it.  Amazing.  It, also, doesn't take one long to learn that Thelma is quite tenacious with a wide streak of very creative mischievousness.  My nickname for her is 'T' for Tenacious Thelma. Did I tell you that she keeps telling me about the once-a- week hiking trips they take here?  I'm telling you right here and now, if I disappear, start questioning Thelma... she's succeeded in killing me and she's left me in the desert.  Can you believe she actually thinks she's helping me???

Funny story:  Thelma told me about the only date she had after her late husband died (his life is an incredible story, too).  Anyway, someone wanted her to go out with this "terrific" guy.  She didn't want to, but finally she met him at a restaurant (hey, it's a free meal).  He looked ok, but was quite pompous and asked the waitress to pick all the iceberg lettuce out of his salad as it has no food value.  He ordered steamed veggies and a piece of broiled fish.  He made such a big deal over nutrition and what one should and shouldn't eat.  When Thelma ordered, she said, "I'll take the three-cheese lasagna with garlic bread, heavy on the garlic and any old salad you've got, please."  After the meal, she got in her car and laughed all the way home.  Not surprisingly, she never heard from that man again.  Mission accomplished. 

Thelma did get married again to a wonderful, Christian man, Jim.

T taught school for 37 years.  Can you just imagine being one of her students?  When the weather permitted (Michigan), she rode a kick-start motorcycle to school and often needed a student to help her start it.  She's a hoot.

Don noticed out the door, which faces north and and looks out from his recliner, that the clouds were pinkish at sunset so I grabbed my camera and went outside.  sunset

 sunset

100_1567 

Well, we weren't very hungry tonight, so I made some guacamole with the two perfectly ripened avocados on the counter.  Don said it was the best I've made thus far.  (did I just say "thus"?)  It was the avocados; they were perfect.

This evening, Don was still waiting for Senor Energy to show up and he insisted that I go learn how to play Court Whist and meet some more residents of this park, while he watched Kansas demolish Texas A&M in basketball.

So I jumped on gingerly got on the bike and grimaced. Oh, well, it's dark outside and no one will notice that I'm riding to one side.  Glad this bike has a head light as the Activity Center is a few blocks away. Court Whist is fairly simple and lots of fun as you play four rounds with a regular deck of 52 cards, at one table.  The partners that win the round are allowed to move to the next table and change partners to continue the second round, which is a little different from the last round... and so on.  It's a great way to meet people and I had a good time. 

Robert was pretty intense, but very nice and friendly.  A gentleman would be my description of Robert on first meeting.Robert John was really difficult to get to know and really lacking in personality. Not.John The other three tables.  That's Sally back there at the last table with the pink hat. I think the pair of hats came together.100_1571 Of course, I already knew GH.  He's running for one of the vacant seats on the park board and his cap bears his "campaign" slogan.GH T was very good at this game.... shocker.  She keeps the place hopping.  She's pretty competitive herself.  I learned tonight that she broke her finger playing softball (not recently) and she knits.  Is there anything she can't do?      Hmmm.  She hasn't said anything about teaching me to knit.  Of course not!!! That's a sitting down activity.  Duh!  She probably knits back in Michigan when the weather is bad. ThelmaThank the LORD for blessings in my life, like Thelma.

No comments: