Thursday, August 28, 2008

Adonai

be_still_va Adonai was the Name of God that we studied last night (Wed. 8/27/08) at our Bible Study.

Recognizing Adonai indicates a persons calling upon and surrendering to the LORDSHIP of Jesus Christ.  "I recognize The LORD as my Master, my Owner, my Boss, the One I want to obey."

Scriptures that speak of Adonai (LORD):

Genesis 15:1-2

1 Some time later, the LORD spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him, “Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great.”

2 But Abram replied, “O Sovereign LORD, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son? Since you’ve given me no children, Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household, will inherit all my wealth.

[We see here that Abram, even though he's questioning, he still is dedicated to obedience as seen by the use of God's name: "LORD."]

Matthew 7:21

21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.

[Not only does God state the intent of the heart here, but He indicates the intentions by what they call him: "Lord, Lord."  Not translated as Adonai.  They were not motivated by their desire to be obedient to God.  The same is true for the following verses.]

Luke 6:46-49

46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say?
47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it.
48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built.
49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

Exodus 4:10

10 But Moses pleaded with the LORD, “O LORD, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”

11 Then the LORD asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.”

13 But Moses again pleaded, “Lord, please! Send anyone else.” [Notice:  When Moses realized what God was requiring of him, the name he uses changes from LORD, to Lord... no longer dedicated to obeying.]

14 Then the LORD became angry with Moses. “All right,” he said. “What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he speaks well. And look! He is on his way to meet you now. He will be delighted to see you. 15 Talk to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with both of you as you speak, and I will instruct you both in what to do. 16 Aaron will be your spokesman to the people. He will be your mouthpiece, and you will stand in the place of God for him, telling him what to say. 17 And take your shepherd’s staff with you, and use it to perform the miraculous signs I have shown you.”

[We discussed why the LORD became angry with Moses... because Moses did not trust the LORD enough to be completely and totally obedient.  We can't help but wonder what blessings Moses forfeited by not trusting the LORD to speak through him.

We also learned that the name LORD (translated Adonai) is only used by an individual who is intent on obeying God.  Otherwise, if the individual is not dedicated to obeying God, the name Lord is used.  Do you see the difference in the use of capitalization.]

LORD, I am your servant, You are my Master.

"Adonai, we surrender to YOUR Sovereign will."

I'm sure there is are many wonderful sermon series or Bible Studies on just this name of God... Adonai. 

I hope you enjoy the music as much as I do.  The first song is entitled "Adonai" and is sung by Paul Wilbur who is tremendously talented Messianic Jewish worship leader.  I have more of his music in my playlist.

OLD TESTAMENT NAMES OF GOD
a poem by
Gertrude Jefferies 

Almighty God, Creator,
Elhoim is His name.
Jehovah-Jireh, My Provider
He will never change.

El Shaddai, All Sufficient One
El Roi, The God Who Sees
Adonai, My precious Lord
Jehovah-Shalom is My Peace.

Jehovah-Saboth Lord of Hosts
El Elyon, God Most High
He's ruler of the universe,
God of the earth and sky.

The Lord Jehovah, Self Existent One
The Eternal Great I Am
Jehovah Rapha, God Who Heals
my spirit and natural man.

Jehovah-Mekaddishkem
The God who Sanctifies
Jehovah-Raal, My Shepherd God
To green pastures He does guide.

I live beneath the banner
Of great Jehovah- Nissi
And blest Jehovah-Tsidkenu
With Righteousness, He clothes me.

 rising_sun_praise_va

No comments: