Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good-bye 2009, once in a blue moon

In preparation for our guest for tonight, we went to Papa Murphy's and picked up a couple of pizzas to cook.  Ben grinned and said, "Sure, you can take my picture," but he never stopped working.  His boss would be proud of him.  While he worked, he asked why I wanted to take pictures and I explained about Bakers' Blessings, our blog.Ben at Papa Murphy's Pizza

Ben created this pizza with chicken, bacon, spinach, olive oil, seasonings and parmesan.  Don and I made a note that we must try this sometime.chicken, bacon, spinach with olive oil and Italian seasonings

Ashley prepared one of our pizzas and then100_4581

checked us out as she asked questions about where we were serving as chaplains.  Ashley flashed a big smile while telling me that she is on the praise team at the Calvary Church in CG.Ashley is on the praise team at Calvary Church in CG, AZ

With our pizzas in hand we traveled home a slightly different route and look what I found!!! an almost dead tree on Selma Rd

Back at the Q, we continue to prepare food for tonight.  With two couples coming, Don decided to move the table to the middle of the floor.  Now, I'm excited!  Who knew you could rearrange furniture in a fifth wheel??!!!  My recliner is now where the table was and the table is at the end of the island.  It works!!

Lori and Norm stopped by to find out what time to come over tonight.  When I heard them pull up, I grabbed my Kodak!Lori and Norm Post, back from a ride to Coolidge

They're so cute!  Norm rides a Harley and Lori rides a Honda that wants to be a Harley when it grows up.Lori and Norm. Aren't they cute!!?!!

They came back at 5:00 for our "New Year's Eve" party.  (See where my recliner is now?  Don't worry, I can see the TV just fine! Don says he can't see me from his chair unless the light is on over my head.)Lori and Norm Post

Rick and Wendy have arrived and we are enjoying our fresh out of the oven Papa Murphy's pizza.Wendy Fury, Lori & Norm Post, Rick Fury, Don

In between games of Zilch and Nil, we took pictures of the Blue Moon and enjoyed the cherry cheese cake Rick made. 

Once in a Blue Moon ... is a common way of saying not very often, but what exactly is a Blue Moon?  According to the popular definition, it is the second Full Moon to occur in a single calendar month.  The average interval between Full Moons is about 29.5 days, whilst the length of an average month is roughly 30.5 days. This makes it very unlikely that any given month will contain two Full Moons, though it does sometimes happen.  On average, there will be 41 months that have two Full Moons in every century, so you could say that once in a Blue Moon actually means once every two-and-a-half years.  However, New Year's Eve blue moons are rarer, occurring every 19 years. The last time was in 1990 ...

Here's the Blue Moon early, a few minutes after rising.  100_4599

A few hours later, the Blue Moon is extremely bright.

now that's bright100_4621

Rick and Wendy are admiring pictures taken with their new camera... correction, Wendy's new camera, her Christmas present.100_4613

Back outside, Rick and I took more pictures of the blue moon.  100_4627

It's a blue moon over the Q.blue moon over the Q

We played more games until the Big Ball fell in NYC and then we played some more until midnight.  A good time was had by all; we toasted with sparkling grape juice and kissed our spouses as 2010 arrived.

Once in a blue moon, we stay up long enough to see the old year out and the new year in.

Good-bye 2009.  You have been full of blessings.  We are grateful to have known you and all the new friends you brought into our life.

1 comment:

Lavonda Pflug said...

I stumbled on to your blog today and enjoyed reading a few posts. Just couldn't help myself...had to grin at some common ground. My name is Lavonda, I'm a born again believer, and I live full time in a 5th wheel, and yes, we have rearranged our furniture permanently. Come over and read my blog, I think you'll enjoy it. :)
I'm going to add you to my list of people I read regularly. Have a great new year!