Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fredericksburg to Balmorhea

We were on the road by 9:00 this morning, right on schedule. Less than an hour on 290 and we were on I-10, in the rain, 56 degrees.  Don had to put on his big boy breeches this morning.highway 290, going down the road - 9:30 AM

Good place to stop and get gas, Sonora on I-10, 7-11 store, $2.35/gal. (today), easy off, easy on.  11:00 a.m.

Here are my usual "going down the road" pictures for today:

Leaving Fredericksburg.Fredericksburg, Tx

Did I mention that it was raining this morning?highway 290, going down the road

We love the houses built with the white limestones from the hill country.  Most of the houses in the country are further off the highway and hidden by trees or hills.highway 290, going down the road

On I-10 and it's still raining.Interstate 10

However, it wasn't long until the clouds cleared and we enjoyed blue skies.Interstate 10 - Texas

The old windmill and the new windmills on the ridge in the background, in one picture.Interstate 10

Interstate 10

Amen.way off on top of a mountain - Interstate 10

Don saw a donut.  Of course he did... food.Interstate 10 - Don saw a donut, of course, food.

A little before 3:00 PM, we pulled into Saddleback Mountain RV Park.  Don was tired and since I was up until 2:00 AM catching up this blog, I was sleepy.  By 3:15, we were set up and I was asleep.3:00 PM Interstate 10 -

There was only a horse trailer in the park when we arrived.us and a horse trailer, that's all - Interstate 10 Balmorhea

I had a wonderful two hour nap and awoke to the delicious aroma of seasoned pork chops in the rotisserie.  I love my husband!

After a yummy dinner, we took a walk around the park.  By now, there were four or five more rigs in the park.  Saddleback Mountain RV Park is nice, sites pretty level.  However, no cable and no wi-fi, but we're getting FIVE BARS with the air card, so all is good.  by 5:00 PM a few more rigs showed up

Looks like this might be the park office, doesn't it?  Nope, it's the Circle Bar Saloon.  The office is in the convenience store behind the saloon.  Lots of parking lot, but nothing going on over there tonight.Bar Circle Saloon next door

This little park even has a nature trail!  I don't much care for that last sentence.100_3262

Don't know what this is, but looked like spun cotton.on the Nature Trail

Every site is a pull-through and has this type of tree on it.  Looks like some variety of willow, but I never saw a willow tree flower.the tree with the orchid flowers

A small flower about two or three inches long, orchid in color and very pretty.  I had to hold it because the wind was blowing and I could get a picture in focus without holding it.100_3248pretty orchid color flowers on the trees in the park

The following are pictures of the sun setting behind the Davis Mountains.  It was pretty stunning, scenes that made me feel like God painted them just for me (and my camera).sunset over the Davis Mountains sunset over the Davis Mountains

sunset over the Davis Mountains

sunset over the Davis Mountains

sunset over the Davis Mountains

sunset over the Davis Mountains

sunset over the Davis Mountains

I turned to the south and saw where the sun was shining on the west side of these mountains.sunset over the Davis Mountains

With no TV, Don pulled out his favorite movie, Second Hand Lion.  We love that movie.

We've heard from Rick and Wendy.  They are safely settled at Quail Run.  We always are so thankful for the safety of friends traveling.  God does answer prayer.

We've received emails from others after receiving Sunday's Coming and we love hearing from you all.

Tomorrow is another traveling day.  Thanks for your prayers.

We are so blessed.

No comments: