Monday, February 6, 2012

How I make Cocoa Gravy

It’s a tradition that I have neglected in my family.  Mama Trudy made Cocoa Gravy when I was a kid and I loved it.  This morning, my 93 1/2 year old mother requested Cocoa Gravy, so I made it … for the first time ever.

Melt about 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.

Sprinkle in about 2 heaping tablespoons of flour,

2 tablespoons of cocoa powder,

2 tablespoons of sugar (according to how sweet you like it),

and a dash of salt.

Stir until all ingredients are well mixed and all lumps are gone.

Slowly add milk, stirring, on medium heat.  Add about a cup to begin with and then add more until the gravy reaches the consistency that you like.  If gravy is getting too thick too quickly, reduce heat.

We like it semi-thick to serve on buttered toast or buttered biscuits.  A little thinner to serve on pancakes.

Mama Trudy enjoyed with a few walnuts on the side and a cup of hot almond milk.

Why have I not treated my grandchildren with this special treat?  Mama Trudy I’m not, but I promise I will be making Cocoa Gravy for them in the future.

100_0484

No comments: