Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ogallala to Colorado Springs…

We were on the road by 8:30 AM with a cloudless day that began with hardly any wind at all.IMG_0658

The scenery ranged from flat farmland to rolling, barren hills.

SE Colorado

Our first sighting of the results of a recent fire.Evidence of recent fires.

There are not as many barns in NE Colorado as there were in Nebraska and the farms just are not as picturesque.  But still they have their own personality.IMG_0673

We saw miles and miles of this as we gradually climbed to a higher elevation,.IMG_0689

Now… this is nice.IMG_0711

This was suddenly visible.  I almost didn’t get the picture.IMG_0719

Pikes Peak is visible from miles away.We're getting closer

When we arrived at our destination, I couldn’t believe that the park managers/owners said, “OK, you can park in this area or this area,” circling them on a map, “then just call us an let us know which site you pick.” Oh, and by the way, some sites are not full hook ups and some share the electric post, so be sure to check before setting up.”  Seriously???  So off we go and I got out and walked and walked and got really hot in the 95 degree temperature.  We finally found a site that was long enough and was a full hook-up.  The sites are dirt and not level at all, but it is quiet here and the mountains are a nice view just “over yonder” to the west.

After we got set up, I had a headache and was sweating like a, well, I was perspiring profusely.  I took a nap and when I awoke, it was almost sundown.  The temp had dropped and we sat outside until I heard a mosquito buzzing around my ear.Parked at Golden Eagle Ranch RV Park, Colorado Springs, CO

6,400 feet elevation.  It may take me a few days to get acclimated.  Drinking lots of water.

2 comments:

Norm and Lori said...

What great scenery...loved the picture of the country church.

joelfloto@yahoo.com said...

Friendly hosts but unfriendly sites?