Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Home building

A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands. ~ Proverbs 14:1

I read this verse yesterday and thought, “hmmm. okay.” But it didn’t really speak to me.

For some reason, Smile, I read it again this morning and, wow, it spoke volumes to me.

Do you ever feel like your home is falling apart?

According to this verse, it is within the power of a woman to “build her home” or destroy it.  Therefore, it is my responsibility to tap into the power that God gives me to build up my home, because, after all, who really wants to destroy their home?

I don’t like to focus on the negative, but how many ways can we destroy our home?

Emotionally.  Am I “building up” my husband?  My children? Well, my children are grown and have families of their own, but I try to “build them up” and encourage them to build their homes wisely, when they will allow me to.  I pray that I am an encouragement to my man and support him in every way I can.

What is a home?  It’s the members of the family and, of course, it’s also a house.  If we don’t take care of our house, it will literally fall down around us.  Of course, most of the maintenance of the home falls upon the man or we hire help, but the inside of the house is a team effort where everyone pitches in.  The woman of the house usually organizes the “chart” of duties and, hopefully, the man of the house reinforces and helps out.  Who does the leading here is not of great importance, just as long as the home is maintained, clean and as uncluttered as possible.  There’s a happy balance where the house doesn’t own the people in it, but it lends itself to harmony and warmth and a sense of “I enjoy being here.” 

God encourages and commands harmony and unity and love and grace and mercy.  Our home reflects our obedience to Him.

God, help me to build our home to bring glory to you.

There is a definite advantage to living in 275 square feet!  Less to clean.  Takes minutes. Thank You, Jesus. Full-time RV-ing is liberating!!

Ooops, I got a little off track.

Back to Proverbs 14:1 – Father, I repent of the times I have destroyed my home and the hearts in my home.  Please restore what the “canker worm has eaten” (due to my ignorance and lack of wisdom).  Help me be a wise woman and build my home.  I certainly don’t want to be referred to as a fool.

No comments: