Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The day after Christmas

OK, we are in the desert, right? Supposed to be warm, right? So why was our water frozen this morning????? BECAUSE IT WAS 27 DEGREES!! It was warmer in Norman, Oklahoma this morning than it was here. (However, Mama said they got about 2" of snow today, but it didn't last long.)
I got that out of my system. In a few hours it was all nice and warm again and NO wind.



Even though it's cold at night, the oleander bushes are still blooming and the oranges are still ripening on the trees.










Don is always out every morning visiting with whoever might be out and about. Here he is with our neighbor, Bob Quinn.








Don and I went into Casa Grande to Wal-Mart (joy, joy) for a few necessities. Ate lunch at Quiznos. They pretty much look the same everywhere, don't they?



We are so blessed with wonderful neighbors. Snookie came over this afternoon and gave me Blogging 102 & 103. Notice the placement of pictures and the counter and other additions to the side menu. Cool, huh? :-) Thanks for all the help, Snookie.


Below are the few pictures I took yesterday at our QR Christmas dinner.



Darlene Sutton, left, my Spades partner from across the street and Snookie Quinn, my wonderful Blog instructor.




Wendy and Rick Fury. They look younger than 55, don't they? They are. Rick & Wendy are work-campers; part of a growing number of wonderful folks who travel around these beautiful United States, working as they go.
John & Jeanne Budd. Jeanne is the manager here at Quail Run. John helped design the artifical heart with that doctor on the TV commercial for a cholesterol medicine.. can't remember his name. John has also done a lot of heart valve design, etc.





Frieda helping to get the serving tables ready for dinner.







Park residents and work-campers dining together.









Clint Gaither and wife Debbie along with Shirley, next to Clint, were at our table.





Our good friends Darrell & Barbara Howard from Amarillo, Tx. We have been praying for a good friend of Darrell's back home in Amarillo and God is working. It was feared that he had lung cancer, but it's doesn't look like that's the case now. Praise the Lord! They were to test him for Valley Fever today; he has all the symptoms.

Another highlight of my day was talking to my youngest nephew when I called my brother in Georgia. It sure was good to hear his voice. My favorite one and only brother has five beautiful children scattered all over (Washington, California, Tennessee and Georgia) and he has nine grandchildren. When I called my brother, 6 years my elder, was up in a 23' deer stand trimming dead limbs out of a pecan tree. He called me back later this after, so he's ok. lol He loves doing stuff like that... got it from our mother. She's a whiz with a chain saw.
Don talked to his mom while we were out in ATT service range. She confirmed the snow report. She is also having stomach problems. Please pray for her with us. He also called Steph, but no answer. She called tonight while Don was away buying more propane. Steve, as Don calls her, has five of our grandchildren: two hers (16; 11), two his (16; 13) and one theirs... all beautiful & handsome. Logan, 5, is the youngest and quite the athlete like his big brother Dillon who is quarterback for his football team. Don and I are expecting to be watching him QB for the OU Sooners in a few years. I recall once asking Logan about his T-ball skills.. he nodded to his dad and said, "Go ahead, Dad, tell 'em." Too cute!


My youngest daughter and family were headed to Waco, Texas this afternoon to spend 5 days with her sister, my oldest. Haven't heard from her, but I'm trusting they arrived safely. Ya'll have fun and be kind to each other. I LOVE YOU ALL.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Just to set the record straight, the tree was not a pecan tree. It was one of those tall Georgia Pines. The "deer stand" was one of those apparatus' that allows the "hunter" to climb a tree and have a platform on which to stand/sit. It is called a "tree climber" deer stand. Deer hunters will know what I am talking about not that I am a deer hunter; I am only a pine tree pruner. I was probably about 30 feet up the tree. At least it seemed that high.
LaVon's adorable brother,
Jon

LaVon Baker said...

You are pretty predictable, you know that? LOL. And I didn't say anything about you being adorable, I said favorite, only brother. There is a difference. But now that you mentioned it.. you're right AND adorable.
Sis