Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday is here.

We are having such good worship services and this morning the Singing Strings, folks in the park who have organized a string group and play all over the RGV, came to worship with us. They played prior to the church service, they played during the church service, both specials and with the singing…. they played beautifully and everyone loved that they were with us. (I don’t use a flash when taking pictures in church.)100_0256

Don’s text was Luke 10:38-42 and titled “Listening to God:”

 38Now as they went on their way, he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at the Lord’s feet, and heard his word. 40But Martha was cumbered about much serving; and she came up to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister did leave me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41But the Lord answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things: 42but one thing is needful: for Mary hath chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

I took notes:

1.  We must listen to God with our whole heart

  • Mary sat at the Lord’s feet with all her attention focused on Him
  • Mary’s priorities were in the right place
  • Start each day with God (from last week’s sermon)
  • Do I really want to know what Jesus says to me?

2.  We must tune out the interference so we can hear Him.  Notice the things that interfered with Martha listening to God:

  • Preparations
  • Busy-ness
  • Anger/unforgiveness
  • Worry/bother/cumbered
  • Much serving
  • Stress

3.  We must tune in to His voice.

  • God speaks to those who want to hear him.
  • If we truly want to hear Him, we much go where He is.
  • God is always in His Word.

After the church service, we hang around and folks come by and chat with us while others are enjoying coffee and doughnuts.  It’s good… the chats.  We don’t eat the doughnuts… but I’m sure they’re good, also.

For lunch, we decided we were hungry for Mexican food, so we chose Poncho’s Mexican Grill.100_0265

Look!  Just for me!  A dead tree inside the restaurant, adorned with lights and all kinds of ornaments. 100_0258

Our waitress, who spoke very little English but was so sweet…. and cute.100_0259

Another shot of the interior of the restaurant.  And yes, we are the minority here.100_0261

The decor near our table and up toward the ceiling.100_0264

Random posting…..

If you know me well, you know that I consider dark, sweet cherries as the fruit of royalty fruit of the gods best fruit God ever created.100_0270

Presently, we have been able to purchase both California cherries and Chilean cherries for $2.98/lb., which is a great buy and they are so sweet and juicy and I have to really use great restraint to keep from eating a whole pound at one sitting.

Another favorite of mine is the homemade bread Joel bakes and brings us.  This is a loaf of jalapeño, parmesan cheese bread…  really tasty with a kick.  Love it toasted with 3-alarm cheese melted on the slice. We found 3-alarm cheese (Colby with jalapeño and habanera peppers) at Sam’s!100_0268 100_0269

For the first time in about a week, the clouds rolled away this afternoon, revealing the blue sky and sunshine…. 100_0271

and the moon in the eastern sky.100_0275

The sun is shining on the palm trees and the moon.100_0278

Tonight, Sherrie Farmer, wife of CRM board member Dewey Farmer, held a Christian concert over at Alamo Rec Veh, so we went.  Sherrie has a beautiful voice and did a great job sharing Jesus in song, word and video.   100_0282

And that was our Sunday.  We are so blessed.  In fact, too blessed to be stressed.

P.S.  I just emailed my daughter and told her the following so decided I would share this with you, also:

Oh, yes, I also wanted to tell you about a little 80+ year old lady with Alzheimer's who held my hand yesterday as we spoke with her husband, who she does not recognize, and gazed at me without wavering… I wondered if she was trying to figure out if she knew me.  I turned to her and leaned down to tell her how pretty she looked in red. And before I had a chance to say anything, she very softly, almost in a whisper, said, as she looked directly into my eyes, "ooooo, I love you."  I felt like Jesus had just spoken to me.  Of course, you know what I replied to her.... because I had already fallen in love with Luella.

1 comment:

Joel and Linda said...

Finally got online...got caught up on your blog and will respond if I can...